Pond weeds/algae - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2020, 04:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pond weeds/algae

Does anyone have a recommendation on a treatment for killing pondweeds/algae?? Also looking to kill some brush and weeds on the pond levee just don’t want to kill my bass/bream/catfish.
Cwatkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2020, 07:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Don't know how big your pond is, but I've seen something like this pond dye used to reduce sunlight and slowly kill it off. I can't say how effective dye is long term though. Shade is a huge factor. Planting water lilies and shoreline trees will reduce it. Stocking grass carp was big back in the 70-80s, but that might be overkill or illegal now. Some lakes had a boom in grass carp that led to zero weed with no cover for fry, which is just as destructive to your fish stocks. You might get some help from the local County Ag Office? MDWFP has this program, but I have no idea how effective it is. Worth it to call and find out. Good luck. Let us know how you do.
GitBit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2020, 06:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Got to Amazon and get you some catplex , it’s good for livestock , fish etc . I sprayed around my pond , basically like roundup . For weeds algae in pond -aquacide but it’s expensive
Livinlife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 06:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
MsH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwatkins View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation on a treatment for killing pondweeds/algae?? Also looking to kill some brush and weeds on the pond levee just donít want to kill my bass/bream/catfish.
You can get triploid carp that can't reproduce. They are pretty effective at clearing out plants but they don't eat algae, and I hear they don't eat duckweed. Think we paid $10 apiece for ours. You shouldn't need more than a few unless you have a big pond with a lot of plants. They will get very big.

Be careful in using plant killing chemicals... if too much dies at once it can drop the oxygen level in your water and kill fish.

You can find tons of helpful pond info at forums.pondboss.com. Good luck!
MsH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2020, 04:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
sj

I would want to talk to a professional before I started spraying any kind of weed killer around or in the pond.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Go to MDEQ's website. There you will find everything you need about your pond. They will even send you a free magazine on Mississippi pond management. You may have to read a little but its in there along with a lot of other good info about your pond or lake.
toddjinx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in