Fishing rod power vs action (How to choose the right rod for you) - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2020, 05:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fishing rod power vs action (How to choose the right rod for you)

See link for article.

https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/...-power-action/
Dan-O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2020, 06:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
sj

Many I talk to confuse the power or weight of the rod blank vs the action of the rod blank.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
When youíre fishing with artificial lures, youíll want a rod thatís on the stiffer side so that you can get a good hook set and have enough power to bring in the fish.
Thats pretty bad advice.
lyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 11:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
sj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyon View Post
Thats pretty bad advice.
Would be species dependent I guess whether to be true or not. Would hold true on species with tougher mouths but most definitely not true in regards to specks.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Power/Action preference for different trout applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyon View Post
Thats pretty bad advice.
These guys use a lot of weedless swim baits on the grass flats. They feel like they get a better hook-up rate with a medium or medium-heavy power, depending on the rod company. It's just a matter of preference.

I would be very interested in hearing opinions on Power/Action preference for different trout applications, i.e. topwater, hard jerkbaits, soft plastics, live croaker etc.

Thanks in advance!
Dan-O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2020, 03:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-O View Post
These guys use a lot of weedless swim baits on the grass flats. They feel like they get a better hook-up rate with a medium or medium-heavy power, depending on the rod company. It's just a matter of preference.

I would be very interested in hearing opinions on Power/Action preference for different trout applications, i.e. topwater, hard jerkbaits, soft plastics, live croaker etc.

Thanks in advance!
For trout I tend to use a Medium-Light power rod with soft plastics and hard baits, except for bigger top waters where you need a heavier rod to handle the lure weight. I also use Extra-Fast action rods so that helps with hook sets, although when trout are hitting aggressively a hook set is hardly necessary. Last winter I did a little more deep water fishing for trout and I found a medium power rod helped with the hook set in that situation.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-O View Post

Thanks in advance!
I was implying what SJ said, that it depends on technique and target species. If you're throwing a a twitch bait with treble hooks or topwater for trout, youre going to be ripping it through its lips.

Personally, I like medium-light or a medium rod for almost all inshore applications. I rarely ever use live bait, though.

Ill use a medium-heavy if Im throwing a popping cork, but I rarely do that. In the winter, I want a fast tip to feel the fish on the bottom.

I throw a lot of weedless swimbaits and do fine with a 6'6'' medium-light and a 7' medium. I have a hard time staying in contact with the lure and the botttom with a heavier rod and I can work a medium easier, but thats a personal thing.

Last edited by lyon; 07-31-2020 at 04:03 PM.
lyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2020, 10:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

It all boils down to this. If you like the rod you have and you catch fish with it then that's the right rod for you. I have caught trout on every rod power from ultra-light to heavy, and on fly rods from 3 weights to 12 weights (had a few trout grab tarpon flies). How you prefer to fish matters most.

If your new to fishing a medium powered, fast action rod paired with a size 100 bait casting reel or a 2500-3000 sized spinning reel are like the F-150 or the Chevy 1500 of inshore fishing. They handle most fishing better than good. After you gain some experience you can, if you choose, invest in some other set ups that are more targeted at a certain species or technique.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ya'll got it wrong, or at least partially when it comes to hook set. IMO of course.

The power of the rod is what lets you fight the fish quickly. And that can also be important for hook setting for say reds or jacks. What is more important for soft mouthed fish like trout is a soft responsive tip. This allows the angler to set hook without ripping the fishes lips off.

Now you can certainly hook trout with a stiff fast action heavy rod. But then its much more about angler ability and technique than the rod.

But at the end of the day Bob's last point is exactly right. If you can catch fish on it then its a good rod for you!!
ifsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2020, 09:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
sj

For trout I use a med-L with a fast tip for jig fishing. I use a lighter weight med-L (all med-L's are not the same) with a fast tip for the smaller/lighter hard plastic jerk baits. I use a med- with an extra fast tip for the bigger/heavier hard plastic jerk baits and top water. When I do use a popping cork I use a 7' med with a med fast tip spinning rod.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in