Cover the Spread - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2020, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cover the Spread

Nope - Wild Bills not making a bet. Hmm, well maybe I am. Just thinking about wintertime fishing and what I see on the water most every time I go. Here’s a guy who loves lipped jerk baits and he’s catching a few now and then with the bite tuning on and off. The next guy is pitching a jig, moving around all day to make up a box of fish. The next guy is working a popping cork over the flats as it warms up. Y’all see anything like this on the water? When I have time, especially when I’m fishing by myself I like to “Cover the Spread”. I have a lot of gear, but I have three goto set ups that I take almost every time in the winter. A baitcaster with a jig and soft plastic, a baitcaster with an “L” minnow and a spinner with a deep suspending jerk bait. I do the same thing in the spring and summer but throw in a topwater bait. I feel like this gives me options in the entire water column or as I call it “Covering the Spread”. IMHO

Last edited by wild bill; 12-25-2020 at 08:55 PM.
wild bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2020, 08:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the tip!
Old 12-26-2020, 09:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

I usually have several rods rigged differently although I haven't touched a popping cork since October. Corks are probably my least favorite way to fish. I will have a couple of rods rigged with jigs, either with different weight or a different sized bait. A rod rigged with a hard bait, usually a Mirrodine rather than a lipped bait and a topwater if I feel the water is still warm enough. I also usually have a weedless presentation ready for a redfish opportunity, and a fly rod.

A buddy and myself used to laugh at some of the boats we saw when we fished in Hopedale a lot. Your typical bay boat with 6-8 rod holders on the console. All of the rods would be rigged the same way. Orange cajun thunder, 2 foot of leader, and a chartreuse beetle, with never a baitcaster in sight.

Old 12-26-2020, 09:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeceiverBob View Post

Orange cajun thunder, 2 foot of leader, and a chartreuse beetle, with never a baitcaster in sight.
Last year pre-Covid, Jimmy and I watched two gentlemen fishing live shrimp 2’ under poppers while he and I were dragging fish over the sides with jigs in 12’ of water. They never caught a fish and it was cold just like today. Thoughts like this are what prompted my post.

Last edited by wild bill; 12-26-2020 at 09:56 AM.
wild bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2020, 05:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Some minds think alike or is it just climbing up the learning curve , I carry 6 pre rigged rods with me since that's what my skiff has rod holders along the bullworks (sides) don't like the stand up's holders on the sides of the console becacuse you have to lay the rods down to cast . I also are pre rigged to (covering the spread ) but the spread changes with the seaons . The difference between the Joe's and Pro's is there preparation and attention to the smallest detail . As someone who has fished alot of big money tournments , the last thing you want to happen is to get caught flat-footed in any situation that could arise . Being able to switch a pre rigged baits quickly and effectively is the key to winning or losing .
captjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2020, 06:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

My brother stopped for gas early one morning going bass fishing and a guy asked him why he had 9 rods. My brother told him that's all he had room for.
JD Jackson County is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2020, 02:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

5 rigged spin rods, one fly rod rigged and 2 more rigged in front hatch....2 PVC tubes along gunnels both sides on my lil CapeCraft. Just gotta get in the water...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D09BBDDB-C29E-4014-ACF9-DFA791951E31.jpg (62.3 KB, 39 views)
Old 01-06-2021, 05:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Jackson County View Post
My brother stopped for gas early one morning going bass fishing and a guy asked him why he had 9 rods. My brother told him that's all he had room for.
😂
Steven-OS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2021, 08:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
sj

Got to cover the spread. Plus wild Bill and me never fish the same thing until we have them patterned.
Old 01-19-2021, 04:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

I normally have 6 in my boat. all rigged differently. 2 with corks(1 plastic, 1 setup for live bait), 1 jig head, 1 spinner, 1 top water and 1 more with whatever else I may have in the bag to try.
joshua99ta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in