Leasing hunting land question - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2018, 10:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Leasing hunting land question

If someone were to lease some hunting land and the only way to get to it is thru someone elses property can the owner of that property keep you from traveling the only road leading to your land?
toddjinx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2018, 10:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tjc

No. Not "your" land. But if you lease it then it's not "your" land. I tried to lease a piece last year. The other landowner was fine with the property owner gaining access thru his property. He was not ok with any other individual coming thru.
Tjc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2018, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default lease land

I would've never thought they could keep you from land that you lease with the only access road going thru their property? I think there is some kinda law on that, I just don't know where to find it.
toddjinx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

That all depends on the type of "Easement" if any that the landowner has. Some are exclusive, others are non-exclusive.
abiologist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2018, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abiologist View Post
That all depends on the type of "Easement" if any that the landowner has. Some are exclusive, others are non-exclusive.

This ^^^

It'll also depend on how willing the actual landowner is to go to court for you. I leased some land from Rayonier a few years ago and traveled the road instructed by our resource manager. It only crossed about 200 yards on the edge of a man's private ground and while Rayonier had it in their paperwork they can travel the land to and fro, It doesn't extend to those who lease the land. I asked the manager how was this possible and he just said it wasn't worth the legal battle and gave me a full refund.

Basically the land becomes landlocked unless it's leased by someone owning adjoining property or a helicopter pilot.
dublelung is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in