Bald Eagle Sighting - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2019, 07:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bald Eagle Sighting

Yesterday I was traveling Hwy 14 between Louisville to Hwy 19 south of Kosciusko and saw a large bird of the side of the road floundering in the tall grass. About the time I got almost even, it sprang us from the grass and flew straight toward my car. I was shocked to see the symbol of our great country with the white head and curved beak less than 10 yards away! I was struck by the white fan of tail feathers and how such a large and beautiful bird it was. It climb over the car and also over the large truck behind me....in my review mirror I could see the bird land on top of a large pine.

I always thought they stayed around large rivers and lakes...not in the woods of central MS. I guess I was shocked at the impact the bird made on me...just seeing it so close. It was my first sighting of a Bald Eagle.
Stringwacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2019, 07:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tjc

Several years ago I was hunting in Sturgis . An old man said he heard a commotion and thought it may be 2 bucks fighting. When he walked in to check it out it was 2 bald eagles with their feet locked together fighting. He said he was afraid one would kill the other so he tried to separate them with his boot. Not a kick, just gently. One of them grabbed his leather boot and sunk a talon into his foot about 1 inch deep. He said the size of them was unreal.
Tjc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2019, 09:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes they are ginormous! There’s a ton of them down here. Their nest are as big as a car.

Last edited by Rancher; 05-08-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjc View Post
Several years ago I was hunting in Sturgis . An old man said he heard a commotion and thought it may be 2 bucks fighting. When he walked in to check it out it was 2 bald eagles with their feet locked together fighting. He said he was afraid one would kill the other so he tried to separate them with his boot. Not a kick, just gently. One of them grabbed his leather boot and sunk a talon into his foot about 1 inch deep. He said the size of them was unreal.
+1
Billy889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2019, 11:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
kjb

There is a nest on the side HWY 49 between Belzoni and Yazoo City that has had a nesting pair in it the last couple of years. It's cool to see them every morning and afternoon traveling to and from work. I also see a couple on Hillside NWR and along the hillside of Eden/Yazoo City. Quite a few of them around here.
kjb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2019, 01:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
+1
Old 05-11-2019, 07:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
rt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjb View Post
There is a nest on the side HWY 49 between Belzoni and Yazoo City that has had a nesting pair in it the last couple of years. It's cool to see them every morning and afternoon traveling to and from work. I also see a couple on Hillside NWR and along the hillside of Eden/Yazoo City. Quite a few of them around here.
Where do they work?
rt8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2019, 02:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
+1
Old 05-15-2019, 09:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

I had 4 behind my house last week. I live next to my father-in-law's catfish farm in Doddsville and they all 4 were in the field about 100 yards off my back porch eating fish.
bwilli is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in