Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

The Hunting Public MS episodes

6K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  dixiehoghunter 
#1 ·
Have you guys seen the HP's Mississippi trip from early last month? I don't want to give a spoiler, but for those who've seen it weren't you sitting there nodding your head going, "Yep...uh-huh...right...welcome to Mississippi deer hunting Mr. Big Shots!" lol

"It's so monotonous...same habitat stretching for miles...no diversity to the environment to funnel the deer...everything is scattered down here (Catman quote)...not like (insert any state name) where the deer sign is all concentrated...heck, we could do as well just picking any tree in the woods and setting up...the deer down here are smaller and faster!...Hogs!!....cottonmouth!!!"

Lol...I like those guys, but I did experience a little satisfaction at the whole thing.[flapper]"

#4 ·
I do want to clarify that I have HUGE respect for the HP guys, and I'm in NO way being critical. They are extremely well informed, dedicated, and seem like just good people. Their entire concept is where my heart is, and I appreciate what they do. I also recognize that if they were doing what 99% of MS hunters do and been armed with rifles the outcome would have been totally different. Hunting public land is hard. Hunting public land exclusively with a bow is a whole other level of difficulty!

And I appreciate the fact that they showed it exactly like it went down, instead of editing in something not-genuine, or going over to some private land, etc. I'm sure with some more time to learn how it works in our state, the HP guys would soon find great success. They show time and again they know what they're doing!

#5 ·
I do want to clarify that I have HUGE respect for the HP guys, and I'm in NO way being critical. They are extremely well informed, dedicated, and seem like just good people. Their entire concept is where my heart is, and I appreciate what they do. I also recognize that if they were doing what 99% of MS hunters do and been armed with rifles the outcome would have been totally different. Hunting public land is hard. Hunting public land exclusively with a bow is a whole other level of difficulty!

And I appreciate the fact that they showed it exactly like it went down, instead of editing in something not-genuine, or going over to some private land, etc. I'm sure with some more time to learn how it works in our state, the HP guys would soon find great success. They show time and again they know what they're doing!
Totally Agree!!

#7 · (Edited)
This isn’t the Midwest for sure. They struggle here every year for a turkey and have Woodhaven basically showing them the best areas. Same with this years deer hunt. They came and had someone showing them areas to go for best success. Was funny watching those sheds go under water and then saying maybe we should get down and leave. Haha
Guys are fun to watch but they weren’t sneaking up on any bedded bucks in Mississippi!!!!!

#8 ·
They were offered a honey hole by a guy that hunts where they were all the time, but they decided to do their own thing. Adrian gladly accepted the honeyhole offer and went in and killed the 8 point shown in the video. I wish they had taken the offer, but they did not want to expose his spot with the cameras.
They have a lot of people trying to get them to come to their spots, but they work hard to keep it real most of the time.

#13 ·
Mississippi has been hard on them, deer and turkey.. I doubt they look forward to coming back, but the type of people they are, they wont be scared to..

#14 ·
Everyone from here who hunts here knows how hard it can be. You can't explain it to folks from other states without them thinking you're trying to elevate MS hunters on some kind of pedestal. Watching the THP guys hunt here was enjoyable but
at the same time confirms what we've been trying to tell folks for years. MS ain't no cakewalk.

#16 · (Edited)
Out of my few deer I killed this year, that lil ole 7pt I killed in the Forest was by far my most rewarding and it doesn’t even come close to the others and one of my others was a 180 pound 10pt I killed Jan 29th on private.

Public land in the southern states are hard to hunt period. I enjoy the heck out of the THP fellas and others on YouTube but where they hunt verses down here is a totally different animal (pun intended, lol). For instance on the public land challenge with the Beast guys and Tethered fellas and the rest in Michigan, all we ever heard was how pressured that state was which I assume to be true but dang everyone was seeing deer. Deer were crossing roads, they’d jump them walking/scouting, I mean everywhere. I’ve walked 7 miles while scouting already and haven’t jumped deer here in southern MS.

Anyway, the THP fellas and others are the only hunting shows I watch. They seem genuinely like good ole boys who enjoy hunting like we all do and I’m glad they are on YouTube.

#18 ·
and one of my others was a 180# 10pt I killed Jan 29th on private.
Uh...huh...what was that you say, Rancher? You dropped that little tidbit so casually it's a little scary. Does that "#" mean "inches?" If so, did I miss the pictures or are you so insanely private or perhaps just don't need the ego boost mortals like I so badly need that you didn't post any?? lol

C'mon..help a brother out!!

#24 ·
Those guys are great. They are authentic/real deal/hard hunters. They also got their asses kicked in this monotonous terrain. It takes years to find spots in that terrain deer use enough to find a spot to bowhunt that isn’t just blind/dumb luck. I hunt any kind of edge or transition I can find behind the levee. Some of the edges are gone but deer still use them. Some are useless. Some are 1/4 acre dewberry patches deer get within 100yds of regularly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.