Mornings or Afternoons? - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2020, 04:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Mornings or Afternoons?

This is related to my other thread about the season in general. Can you estimate what percentage of your hunts were morning vs afternoon? I almost never hunt mornings, which I know is a primary factor in lower deer sightings for me vs other hunters I know. My experience has been that afternoons are better when you have access to man-provided food sources, such as food plots and ag fields. Hunters I know in clubs with food plots and farmers who have soybean fields see a lot more deer than I do in the afternoon, and often they don't go to their stands until 45 min before dark. They really hunt that last 15 min or so of daylight (and some of them a good bit after)

I'm sure I'd see many more deer if I hunted at least some mornings, but neither my business nor family life lends itself to morning hunting. It's not ideal, but you'll never hear me complaining. I consider myself one of the luckiest guys in the world to get to hunt as often as I do. My career allows it, as does my incredible, amazing wife - who puts up with it year after year. I'll never take that for granted.
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2020, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

80% were evening hunts due to what the cameras were telling me. Pretty much everything I did was based off camera reports.
mossyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2020, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Probably 50/50 this year. In years past itís been 70% morning hunts and 30% evenings due to my wife primarily hunting evenings while I stay at camp and watch our kiddos. Kids are Getting older and hunting more now with us so even though technically Iím not hunting Iím in a stand while they hunt.
Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 06:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Do yall hunt food sources? Did you find mornings or afternoons better or worse?
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2020, 06:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake66 View Post
Do yall hunt food sources? Did you find mornings or afternoons better or worse?
Evenings were always food sources. Most mornings were food sources also but the morning I killed on public he was following a doe paralleling a creek. Evenings are always better for me.
Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2020, 06:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

35% mornings 65% evenings for me mostly because I hunt every Saturday and Sunday but not Sunday mornings. During holidays I generally hunt both. I have grandkids that hunt a lot with me but when they can’t or don’t want to go I go by myself. When they are with me it is food plots. When they are not I hunt where I think they will be. Hang-ons, climber, tent or condo. If it is very cool it is the condo with a heater. I’m old!
Mr Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2020, 07:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

100 % evenings for me this year. First time in my hunting career I never made a morning hunt. And simply because of, for lack of a better excuse, laziness. Saw lots of deer, but the better bucks usually get killed on our place in the mornings.
RiverRampage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2020, 12:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Tjc

Even after years and years of game cam pics that show 90 percent of daytime buck movement in our club is in a 2 week period from the last week of December through the first week of January and 90 percent of those 2 weeks of pics are from 7:30 til 10 o’clock am I still hunt mainly evenings. I absolutely hate morning hunts. Even though most bucks are killed in the mornings during the rut I only do mornings 2 or 3 hunts a year. I hunt 95 percent evenings and mainly food sources. Every year I tell myself I gotta hunt more mornings but it hasn’t happened yet.
Tjc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2020, 01:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

I hunt when I can as much as I can. But like you said , if I have access to a plot its going to be an evening sit 99% of the time. I see more deer in the morning once deer begin to rut. often late morning on bucks, but in general in late December I see most deer "In the woods" from daylight til lunch, which is how long I sit. all this being said ,I killed both my deer this year in the evening.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzsmith View Post
I hunt when I can as much as I can. But like you said , if I have access to a plot its going to be an evening sit 99% of the time. I see more deer in the morning once deer begin to rut. often late morning on bucks, but in general in late December I see most deer "In the woods" from daylight til lunch, which is how long I sit. all this being said ,I killed both my deer this year in the evening.
Same
mossyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in