Do you set goals? - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2020, 05:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do you set goals?

I've asked this before, but it's a good question, and things change.

I'm not a "goal setter." I wish I could make it a priority, but my nature is to just "roll with it."

HOWEVER...this year as deer season gets closer, I've decided to challenge myself to set just THREE goals for the entire season. They are:

1 - Hunt more mornings. Because of my business and personal life, morning hunts have been difficult. But my kids are all leaving the nest, so the personal aspect is not as hard to work around. Last year I hunted ONE morkning, the year before that THREE mornings. This coming season my goal is to hunt TEN mornings.

2 - Put at least FOUR deer in the freezer (with help from my son and oldest daughter). We eat a LOT of venison and a few years ago we ran out sometime during June or July - and I don't want that to EVER happen again! lol). While there are fewer mouths to feed, I like to have venison when we want it and I like to share with family and [very close] friends.

3 - Climb more trees. Since I was a kid my preferred method to hunt deer is from the ground. In 40 years hunting I've killed just a handfull of deer from a stand, blind, or box. This makes bow hunting especially challenging. This coming year I'm setting a goal to hunt from the air at least every THIRD hunt, whether that be climbing stand, ladder "buddy" stand, or lock-on. I bought another set of climbing sticks and another lock-on, and I believe if I can achieve this goal my season will benefit significantly. I cannot count the deer I've lost over the years as a result of being on the ground - and it's usually because that lead doe busts me like some kind of savant!

So...anybody else have some goals?
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2020, 05:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

I set some:

1- Do not make the same mistakes I made last year. For me that is getting caught up in killing one specific deer and then the season flies by before you know it.

2- Kill a deer out the JX3 hybrid saddle thing. This will be my first full season with it, but it is by far the most comfortable thing I have ever hunted out of. Including a millinium locon.

3- Enjoy it. Especially with all that is going on right now. Going to slow down a bit and just enjoy the hunt, all aspects of it.
ShaneC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2020, 09:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneC View Post

2- Kill a deer out the JX3 hybrid saddle thing. This will be my first full season with it, but it is by far the most comfortable thing I have ever hunted out of. Including a millinium locon.
ShaneC, what all pieces/parts do you need for this setup?

Old 07-23-2020, 10:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

My goal is simple; to climb more with my climber (and try new spots) vs always hunting my pre-hung stands.
Stringwacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2020, 11:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

My goals are the same each year, put my wife on a decent buck, put my kids on whatever they wanna shoot and for me to shoot a buck or a doe. We hunt so much that those goals are usually met by default. If either one of us would change jobs then wed be in a bind.
Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2020, 11:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Tjc

2 freezers full of deer meat is my goal every year. With a wife and 3 kids we will empty 2 freezers each year. When ground beef got to $10 a pound a couple months ago I was glad to have a freezer full of ground deer.

Last edited by Tjc; 07-23-2020 at 11:07 PM.
Tjc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2020, 10:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjc View Post
When ground beef got to $10 a pound a couple months ago I was glad to have a freezer full of ground deer.
LOL...I felt exactly the same way! A buddy got all wigged out, sending me texts about how all beef was about to quadruple in price, and he went out and stocked up. I just checked the freezer and said a little Thanks for the good luck of the past season. I got 3 and my son got three. And I felt very fortunate to live in a state with such liberal hunting regs. I know that's not totally a good thing and there are negative aspects to it, but still...if you're an avid outdoorsman and stay persistent you can put a LOT of food away doing what you enjoy. My son's mountain cur added significantly to the freezer! I've got probably 15 bags of squirrel left now only two months before we can start again.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake66 View Post
ShaneC, what all pieces/parts do you need for this setup?
Really if you already have sticks you just need the JX3. It really comes with everything you need. If you look at its specs it says it is 9lbs. Some of the saddle guys say that is too heavy, but it carries way lighter than that number.
ShaneC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2020, 12:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneC View Post
If you look at its specs it says it is 9lbs. Some of the saddle guys say that is too heavy, but it carries way lighter than that number.
Man, after walking countless miles of public land with climbers on my back for 15 years, that NINE pounds sounds like heaven! I know the sticks add some weight, but it will still be a tremendous difference, and several places I hunt I can leave at least one stick on the tree. I try to find places where I can't find tracks from other hunters.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

1 goal - meat in the freezer
gun dawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in