Has Covid 19 Changed Your Fall Hunting Plans? - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2020, 07:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Has Covid 19 Changed Your Fall Hunting Plans?

It has for me. I decided to put almost everything on hold for this year...even passing up an opportunity to hunt elk in a trophy zone in Colorado. Earlier in the year, a outfitter cancelled my bear hunt as the Canadian border was closed.

The only hunt I have planned is a Kansas Whitetail hunt on public land; which I can cancel if I feel in November that I need to. I don't see any change for me on intrastate hunts.

Given I have a compromised immune system and over the age of 60....I'm a little more concerned than most. I'm trying to determine how I can get to my destination safely. The below bowhunting clothing may be an option

So how are each of you going to deal with the virus in terms of your hunting plans?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hazmat Bowhunting Picture.jpg (32.1 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Stringwacker; 07-27-2020 at 07:38 AM.
Stringwacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2020, 09:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tjc

The virus cost me a turkey trip this spring. I’m hoping I get to make my Midwest bow hunt this November. Like you, I have a lower immune system due to meds for rheumatoid arthritis so I’m gonna play it by ear. At the rate things are going I think COVID will be worse at the end of this year than it is now.
Tjc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2020, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Nothing changed for us yet. Gotta see what the school system does. As of now looks like we may be able to get a few more Friday hunts in. May still do public in Kentucky if work allows it.
Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 11:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

I don't think hunting will change much in the state unless you hunt crowded public land or camp using public campground restrooms and showers.

Out of state hunts are a different matter. Most people expect the current epidemic to get worse...much worse while waiting on the new vaccines. Already New Mexico has a 14 day quarantine...which by the letter of the law says a non-resident upon entering New Mexico, should not to stop for gas (or food) and go directly to your 'shelter in place' destination and not leave it for 14 days unless you have a medical emergency. Some have inquired about hunting from your 'shelter in place' camping arrangement...and the answer is that you cant leave the camp for any reason...legally.

I can only imagine the impact on hunters if some other states follow this arrangement if things get worse. New Mexico is rumored to enforce this by use of cell phone transmissions of the individual.

Last edited by Stringwacker; 07-27-2020 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sure am glad I drew my top tier NM elk tag last year!!!

Have a WY general elk tag this year and not planning on letting COVID affect the trip. I can't imagine states cancelling seasons or dishing out refunds for western big tags considering the revenue it generates. It'd really hurt Game and Fish budgets.
deerhunt1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2020, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringwacker View Post
It has for me. I decided to put almost everything on hold for this year...even passing up an opportunity to hunt elk in a trophy zone in Colorado.
When you say passing up an opportunity.. I assume you just decided to not apply for the unit and save your points? Or was it some type of landowner tag deal?

The point game is what makes all this such a sensitive situation...Sure would suck to spend a decade of points and then be restricted on your hunting.. Just can't see that happening without the state offering some sort of point refund.

Last edited by deerhunt1988; 07-27-2020 at 07:45 PM.
deerhunt1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2020, 11:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunt1988 View Post
When you say passing up an opportunity.. I assume you just decided to not apply for the unit and save your points? Or was it some type of landowner tag deal?

The point game is what makes all this such a sensitive situation...Sure would suck to spend a decade of points and then be restricted on your hunting.. Just can't see that happening without the state offering some sort of point refund.
Correct, I should have had enough points this year to draw elk in Unit 40 but I elected to just apply for a preference point. Additionally, I often have the opportunity to get a mule deer landowner tag for the same unit; but took myself out of the running for that as well.

Last edited by Stringwacker; 07-27-2020 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Decided to opt out of applying for MT mule deer tags. Had been planning the trip for a few years, last went in 2016, glad now that we did wait. Had talked with MT Fish and Game asking what their position was if one drew tags but COVID prevented our coming. So sad so sorry if you don't have a doctor's excuse that you are to sick to hunt and even at that only 90% refund amount. Maybe 2021 if all pans out.
bucmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2020, 09:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. With a zone 5 Iowa bow tag and a Kansas gun tag I sure hope things get better. I've been waiting 5 years to get drawn again for Iowa. It would really suck if I couldn't go.
canebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2020, 06:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

Alaska just enacted the following....all non-residents much show a negative Covid 19 test taken within 72 hours before entering Alaska. Something tells me if the pandemic gets much worse, you may see this duplicated in some other areas. This is effective 8/11.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in