Snap shot - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2020, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Snap shot

Ok guys...I'm starting to feel self-conscious. I look on the forum and "jakesnake66" threads are all over the place! Am I the only dumb one who has to ask questions?? LOL.

So...you're standing in the woods or sitting in your stand, and a nice buck comes walking in. He caught you off guard and you see him the same time he sees you. You both freeze. He's maybe 40 yards away, upwind. While you remain frozen, Mr. Buck starts trying to figure you out. He stares...looks away...stares again...looks down..stiffens his legs...head slides a little side-to-side.

You pretty much know it's over. This ain't his first rodeo. Over the next 30 seconds his nervousness grows, and you know you're busted.

The universal outcome to this scenario is for the hunter to remain frozen, praying that this will be the time the buck settles down and gives him a shot, but of course instead the buck finally has had enough and bounds away to live another day.

My question is: Have you ever tried to beat a buck at this game by throwing your rifle up and taking the shot?

I have not. But I've lost count of the times I've considered it. I hunt from the ground, so this scenario is something I deal with multiple times every season. I'm absolutely certain it would best be accomplished with a light-handling carbine with iron sights, such as a Winchester '94 or similar. I've just never done it.

Anyone?
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2020, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tjc

I’ve never tried to quick draw one but I’ve tried the sit still method, which has worked a couple of times if the deer takes a couple of hops and decides to stop for one last look, which at that point I’m shouldered and ready. I’ve tried the ease my gun up slowly method which normally results in the deer not stopping to look back just getting ground between me and him quickly. I’ve quick drawed a couple of gobblers but never a deer. Both times it required a running shot, but with a shotgun at close range I’m more confident in making the shot. Me, a rifle and a moving target don’t turn out well normally.
Tjc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2020, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was sitting on the edge of a ditch one morning looking at the super cell t storm that was bearing down on me, I was wondering where my 18 yr old son was, we had agreed to meet at 11 am at the same place we split up that morning. I heard something walking up the road and when I looked up it wasn't my son but a mature 9 pt we saw each other at the sametime and my hk (hunter killer) instincts took over. My rifle was laying next to me by the time I shouldered it the buck was 30 to 40 yds and running for his life, by the time I rattled off the 3rd shot from my Browning BBR he was probably 60 yds. That 3rd shot middled him up and it was over. I still can't believe I hit that deer, oh yeah he was blind in one eye so maybe that was all the edge I needed. I have dog hunted with my rifle a lot and can probably sell the brass I have from missing deer on the run, but I will not hesitate to sling lead downrange for the chance to kill a mature buck, after all that is the end game for me anyway. The moral of the story is " the best time to kill a mature buck is when you see him"
Shackbully58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 09:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Not me...I’ll let him walk before I take a shot that has a good chance of not working out like I want it to.
mossyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2020, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossyman View Post
Not me...Iíll let him walk before I take a shot that has a good chance of not working out like I want it to.
That's my basic view, too, but I've also seen with my own eyes that some guys can just do it - at least it's not nearly the low percentage shot that it is with me. A few years ago I was hunting in the Delta when an acquaintance pulled up with a big deer on his 4 wheeler and he explained he'd shot it running across an open beanfield. I got pretty rude and told him that was a "stupid" shot. He and his buddy glared at me and said "you don't know what you're talking about; mind your own [email protected] business!" When they left a guy who knows them very well said "you just embarrassed yourself, dude...those guys having been shooting moving animals since they were old enough to carry a gun." Turns out by ALL accounts, they are as comfortable shooting running deer as excellent wing shooters are with dove and ducks. Second nature. They grew up doing drives in the Delta when there were very, very few deer there, and they got expert at it.

That's NOT me. But I concede there are people who can do it.
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2020, 02:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

In my experience it’s best to get your gun up fast in that situation and hope he stops once to confirm before he’s out of sight. It works maybe 10% of the time and you’ll always remember it. Give it a shot.
dixiehoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in