Do all your bucks look alike? - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2020, 03:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Do all your bucks look alike?

Been discussed before, but it's an interesting topic, IMO.

I've always been fascinated by how similar the racks of the bucks in any given area can be year after year. Incredibly, sometimes the areas can be relatively close together. In one part of the CW River bottoms I hunt most of the bucks have very long, spindly antlers that are neither wide nor especially tall. They have a distinct roundess to the them. Just a couple miles away the bucks have sort of a narrow "V" shape to them, typically with more mass. But NOWHERE in these bottoms are you ever likely to see a wide rack. In the 15+ years I've hunted these places I haven't seen ONE really wide rack. A buddy of mine belongs to a club about 8 miles south, and every year they will take at least 2-3 really wide racks with relatively short beams.

Do the bucks in your area all look like family?
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2020, 04:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have one particular buck that looks just like the one I killed last year except the sides are switched...3-4 on one side with a big long curving spike on the other. He’s at least 4 and looks to weigh close to 200 lbs.
I have a ton of deer this year that have anywhere from 3-5 points on one side and just a small spike on the other. I haven’t been able to determine if it is broken or it grew like that. Some of the bucks are mature but most are not. We were doing good there for awhile with bucks having symmetrical racks but this year I can count those on one hand. It’s pitiful if you think about it. It makes you wonder if the 10+ bucks are related because they sure have some of the same characteristics.
mossyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2020, 03:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

yes.

around my house along the tenn tom waterway we see a lot of crazy, stunted, big framed but something missing racks as well as what i call typical river bottom racks...high off the head sweeping beams typically with 8 points that angle forward.

on family land in the pine belt we see dark small framed horns with a lot of 10+ pointers. clean 8s are very rare. even the occasional really good deer down there will still have the same characteristics just bigger.

there is no doubt that if you hunt an area long enough you will figure out the rack genetics and see trends through the different generations.
delmar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 07:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Tjc

Most of mine are small. That’s about the only thing they have in common.
Tjc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2020, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ive seen and hunted areas where certain shapes of racks were prominent for the area. Not to say other shapes didn't exist in the same spots but to answer you question yes ive seen it. However.....over all through out that entire property which was very large every type and style of rack existed. short and wide, tall and tight, mass, and pencil horn, typical and non typical. They all existed. Ive always loved a scoreable high and tight rack...but ive never killed one.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzsmith View Post
However.....over all through out that entire property which was very large every type and style of rack existed. short and wide, tall and tight, mass, and pencil horn, typical and non typical. They all existed. Ive always loved a scoreable high and tight rack...but ive never killed one.
The property a few miles to the south I mentioned with the wide racks is like that. Pretty much every style/look/type is represented. I really think it has something to do with the river bottoms. I have no objective data to support this, but it just seems like these bucks roam less. I used to run cameras obsessively all year, and I had many examples of bucks being present the whole year, with only the occasional "intruder" showing up. I've been able to watch several grow up, year after year. My cousin, who hunts the Delta, has a very different experience. Several of "his" bucks disappear about rifle season and won't be seen again until late January.

These swamp bucks just seem to stay at home more. I'd love to know if there's research on that.
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2020, 09:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake66 View Post
The property a few miles to the south I mentioned with the wide racks is like that. Pretty much every style/look/type is represented. I really think it has something to do with the river bottoms. I have no objective data to support this, but it just seems like these bucks roam less. I used to run cameras obsessively all year, and I had many examples of bucks being present the whole year, with only the occasional "intruder" showing up. I've been able to watch several grow up, year after year. My cousin, who hunts the Delta, has a very different experience. Several of "his" bucks disappear about rifle season and won't be seen again until late January.

These swamp bucks just seem to stay at home more. I'd love to know if there's research on that.
yeah theres research on it. that's why msu collars deer is to track movement. QDMA magazine quality whitetails puts out articles on similar subjects from time to time. The last one I remember reading was specifically on summer patterns though, and another article was on deer changing home areas for sometimes years at a time, and randomly returning one year.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Racks vary in width and tine length, but dark antlers, non-typical points and spreads over 19 inches around our place are extremely rare.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in