Decoy? - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2020, 01:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Decoy?

Anyone using a deer decoy? In all my hunting years I've never ONCE considered getting one - that was until I started watching hunting shows on Youtube!

I don't expect magic from any hunting tool or technique, but I am interested in anything that increase the odds of success, and it seems to me at certain times and with certain hunting styles, a decoy should do just that. If nothing else, a decoy will get the buck's attention, encourage him to look other directions than mine. Since I hunt from the ground that can be a significant benefit. Getting a bow to full draw from the ground is extremely difficult, and I have to think a decoy could be a fantastic ally in that regard.

Do we have anyone with personal experience?
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2020, 04:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

I personally don’t but, my uncle had a lot of luck with one. He hunts a big power line and killed 3 good bucks with one last year. Drew them out into the open in the daylight.
BBR12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2020, 08:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

I used one in Kansas in 2014. The one evening I used it a buck came in and completely bulldozed it...pieces went flying everywhere.

I used one here in Ms one time...2001 I believe. A doe showed up, stared at it for about 2 minutes from 75 yards away and took off in the other direction like she was on fire. I haven’t used one since.
mossyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 09:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

I used a decoy a few times. A nice buck came in and as soon as it saw the decoy the wind blew its lifelike tail up like the decoy was alerting him and it took off. Luckily it stopped for a split second to take another look and I got a shot off. Biggest buck I’ve ever taken. Decoy has never again seen the light of day.
shaner101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2020, 12:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Years ago when I was hunting in valley park I had one and never had any luck with it. I purchased it to have deer just stop and look at it while crossing wrp lanes. I can't remember one deer ever paying any attention to it.
peewee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2020, 11:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

I haven't used one but have seen many midwest hunts where they worked to perfection. I'd love to try one during the rut.
dublelung is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2020, 01:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublelung View Post
I haven't used one but have seen many midwest hunts where they worked to perfection. I'd love to try one during the rut.
Same here. Several times while hunting from the ground I've called a buck in, only for him to be staring directly at me by the time I see him. A decoy could make all the difference in that particular situation. The other scenario that comes to mind is when a buck is following a doe. Many times it's the doe that busts me, and I never get an opportunity at the buck. A decoy might occupy her attention long enough for the buck to come into range.

I don't think it would be a game changer, but I can see situations where it could make the difference.
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2020, 01:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Which would y'all prefer? A doe or buck decoy? I have the Flambeau Boss Babe but have thought about trying to mount a small set of antlers on it somehow. I've only used her a handful of times but didn't happen to see deer those times. I did kill a coyote that ran out and paused to look at the decoy long enough for me to put 165 grains through him.
msurussell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in