Anyone rabbit hunt? - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2019, 10:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone rabbit hunt?

Wondering if rabbit hunters are still around? It’s been the first year in several that we have rabbits. I have no idea what happened to them but they disappeared and now seem to be coming on strong.

Anyway. Haven’t seen much posted on the board.
Missed mallards 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2019, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Clifford does
Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2019, 07:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

We have a pack of beagles and love to rabbit hunt. The only problem with rabbit hunting is that people are so sold out on deer hunting they won't let you run your dogs til deer season is over.

We have one deer camp that lets us run rabbit one or 2 days during deer season before the rut starts.....and to return the favor we go to their camp almost every weekend in February as a Thank you to the camp for sparing just a day or 2 to let us exercise the dogs.

Camps really don't know how much fun they are missing out on by not running rabbits on a small section of their land just in morning time. I'm telling you it does not run the deer off. They may slip out but they will be back by the afternoon hunt or next day at worse. Kids really get a kick out of hearing the dogs run and seeing the rabbits squirt across the lanes too.
macpappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 09:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpappy View Post
We have a pack of beagles and love to rabbit hunt. The only problem with rabbit hunting is that people are so sold out on deer hunting they won't let you run your dogs til deer season is over.

We have one deer camp that lets us run rabbit one or 2 days during deer season before the rut starts.....and to return the favor we go to their camp almost every weekend in February as a Thank you to the camp for sparing just a day or 2 to let us exercise the dogs.

Camps really don't know how much fun they are missing out on by not running rabbits on a small section of their land just in morning time. I'm telling you it does not run the deer off. They may slip out but they will be back by the afternoon hunt or next day at worse. Kids really get a kick out of hearing the dogs run and seeing the rabbits squirt across the lanes too.
I sure remember those frosty mornings going rabbit hunting and waiting for ole Clyde to get cranked up. Miss those days!
Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2019, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by macpappy View Post

I sure remember those frosty mornings going rabbit hunting and waiting for ole Clyde to get cranked up. Miss those days!
There ain’t nothing like a hound striking up a chase. I use to trade out with trespassers. They got to hunt, and I got to tag along. Had a few I wouldn’t allow back but had some fine hunts also.

Been waiting all year to catch a trespasser and ain’t had no luck lol. My lab ain’t much on it but he does try lol.

Old cottontails running the old ditch banks chased by some good old hounds. Fun stuff. Glad to see some of getting in on it.
Missed mallards 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2019, 05:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Man oh man...rabbit hunting...when I read this post I immediately began reminiscing about "the good ole days" when I was in high school, and one of my best friends would take me rabbit hunting. He had an excellent pack of beagles and access to about 200 acres where there were NO deer hunters. We could take those dogs and hunt rabbits as often and as long as we wanted. And friends...if there's anything more fun in the hunting world I haven't experienced it! This was in the mid '80s, and coyote numbers were low, and rabbit numbers were high. The dogs would strike one after the other for hours and those little short-legged beagles would give us 110% as long as we kept them out there. Yes, the hunting/shooting part is fun, but as all rabbit hunters know, the BEST part is watching those miraculous little dogs do what they were absolutely BORN to do!! To this day, what I remember most is how unbelievably motivated and persistent a good beagle is! Right now I can recall them driving nose-first into the thickest thickets known to man - stuff you wouldn't throw your worst enemy into - and then digging like mad with their back legs like a good fullback! lol. A good beagle just WILL NOT be denied. And they live to please, which is about the most heart-warming thing in the world. They want to catch rabbits, yes, but most of all they want to perform well for the men with the shotguns.

Sorry to get a little romantic about it, but man I LOVE working with hunting dogs, and rabbit dogs are my favorite. Having my own pack of beagles is firmly in my bucket list, and I so hope I make it happen while I'm still healthy enough to run those thickets with them. Thanks for bringing up this topic. It's a good 'un!
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2019, 07:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake66 View Post
Man oh man...rabbit hunting...when I read this post I immediately began reminiscing about "the good ole days" when I was in high school, and one of my best friends would take me rabbit hunting. He had an excellent pack of beagles and access to about 200 acres where there were NO deer hunters. We could take those dogs and hunt rabbits as often and as long as we wanted. And friends...if there's anything more fun in the hunting world I haven't experienced it! This was in the mid '80s, and coyote numbers were low, and rabbit numbers were high. The dogs would strike one after the other for hours and those little short-legged beagles would give us 110% as long as we kept them out there. Yes, the hunting/shooting part is fun, but as all rabbit hunters know, the BEST part is watching those miraculous little dogs do what they were absolutely BORN to do!! To this day, what I remember most is how unbelievably motivated and persistent a good beagle is! Right now I can recall them driving nose-first into the thickest thickets known to man - stuff you wouldn't throw your worst enemy into - and then digging like mad with their back legs like a good fullback! lol. A good beagle just WILL NOT be denied. And they live to please, which is about the most heart-warming thing in the world. They want to catch rabbits, yes, but most of all they want to perform well for the men with the shotguns.

Sorry to get a little romantic about it, but man I LOVE working with hunting dogs, and rabbit dogs are my favorite. Having my own pack of beagles is firmly in my bucket list, and I so hope I make it happen while I'm still healthy enough to run those thickets with them. Thanks for bringing up this topic. It's a good 'un!

It is sad that it is a dying sport, but deer hunting as absolutely gotten ridiculous... and I like to deer hunt too. I dream of a lease that is a "hunting" lease....meaning what season is open is fair game to anyone in the camp. I will have that for my son in a couple of years.

I carried a couple of boys squirrel hunting on public land last weekend and all 3 of them commented on how much more fun it was to be walking and talking in the woods than having to sit still and quiet. I told them there is a time and place for all hunting but following a good squirrel dog or hearing a pack of beagles is hard to beat.
macpappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2019, 07:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Amen to all these comments
statesman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in