Anyone planted for doves yet - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2019, 12:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone planted for doves yet

Just got my seed in the ground today between the rains. Havenít posted much the last couple years and didnít even do any dove hunting last year bc of it and gator season overlapping almost 100%.....which it does again for over the first half of first five down here and near impossible to really do both so not sure how much gonna even shoot this year either depending on getting drawn or not for gator. Anyways.....this always signals the beginning of the next hunting season for me. Time to sit on the porch and start counting how many are flying in. Just a blink and itíll be bow season again.
jvalhenson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 09:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
rt8

What did you plant?

I planted about an acre of sunflowers several weeks ago .. Mostly for decoration, but they'll be dropping Close to the opener.
I broke more ground today, I'll plant browntop in a couple weeks

Last edited by rt8; 06-08-2019 at 09:32 PM.
rt8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Browntop

Old 06-23-2019, 09:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Planted browntop the last two years. Not enough birds in my area to make it worth it.
kenacp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2019, 09:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

My 1st year to plant anything so learning. Planted sunflowers mid April in strips every couple weeks and applied pre emergents but grass took them over and they don’t look great but got some to come up. Brown top millet was planted about a month later and looks decent with heads starting to show. Plan is to spray the sunflower strips and then burn it. Is that the best scenario to clean it up? Millet I’m undecided as to just cut in strips or burn it. Thoughts?
fins2furs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2019, 07:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fins2furs View Post
My 1st year to plant anything so learning. Planted sunflowers mid April in strips every couple weeks and applied pre emergents but grass took them over and they donít look great but got some to come up. Brown top millet was planted about a month later and looks decent with heads starting to show. Plan is to spray the sunflower strips and then burn it. Is that the best scenario to clean it up? Millet Iím undecided as to just cut in strips or burn it. Thoughts?
Iíd spray sunflowers, then mow, then burn. Need to mow to bust up the seed heads. Iíd also spray the millet wait til itís brown then mow and burn the same afternoon. You at least need to mow the millet before burning. It burns too well when standing and lots of those tiny seeds would be burned up.
MattK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2019, 03:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

I was pleasantly surprised at our shoot Sunday afternoon. I had no idea I had that many birds. 4 guns and 47 birds. Actually 3.5 guns. Had a guy get sick and leave after about an hour due to the heat. Enjoying my boys while I can. Worth every penny and the work getting the field ready.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5EF15035-E845-4797-A867-CC36F0B5DC5F_1567537866005.jpg (260.5 KB, 39 views)
fins2furs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2019, 09:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

We’ve killed about 100 total but haven’t been able to really sit on em. Been just shooting a little in between gator hunting and taking naps but for a good little pile of em.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in