Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

Anyone planted for doves yet

10K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  jvalhenson 
#1 ·
Just got my seed in the ground today between the rains. Haven’t posted much the last couple years and didn’t even do any dove hunting last year bc of it and gator season overlapping almost 100%.....which it does again for over the first half of first five down here and near impossible to really do both so not sure how much gonna even shoot this year either depending on getting drawn or not for gator. Anyways.....this always signals the beginning of the next hunting season for me. Time to sit on the porch and start counting how many are flying in. Just a blink and it’ll be bow season again.

#5 ·
My 1st year to plant anything so learning. Planted sunflowers mid April in strips every couple weeks and applied pre emergents but grass took them over and they don’t look great but got some to come up. Brown top millet was planted about a month later and looks decent with heads starting to show. Plan is to spray the sunflower strips and then burn it. Is that the best scenario to clean it up? Millet I’m undecided as to just cut in strips or burn it. Thoughts?

#6 ·
My 1st year to plant anything so learning. Planted sunflowers mid April in strips every couple weeks and applied pre emergents but grass took them over and they don't look great but got some to come up. Brown top millet was planted about a month later and looks decent with heads starting to show. Plan is to spray the sunflower strips and then burn it. Is that the best scenario to clean it up? Millet I'm undecided as to just cut in strips or burn it. Thoughts?
I'd spray sunflowers, then mow, then burn. Need to mow to bust up the seed heads. I'd also spray the millet wait til it's brown then mow and burn the same afternoon. You at least need to mow the millet before burning. It burns too well when standing and lots of those tiny seeds would be burned up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.