Squirrel Season - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2019, 07:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Squirrel Season

I know most people in Mississippi are deer hunters, and I do as well(my 6 year old son is wanting to kill his 1st this year so that is my goal for deer season)....but I absolutely can not wait for squirrel season.

About 5 years ago a guy I knew from Junior College gave me a free 6 week old Mountain Feist puppy just to play with bc he knew I liked squirrel hunting(had never went with a dog just still hunted). Well, this little dog started treeing wild squirrels at 5 months old and has turned out to be probably one of the best tree dogs I will ever own. He is the most accurate dog I have seen....if he is barking the squirrel is either in that tree or just ran in a hole. Can't wait to get him rolling again this year. I am probably going to take him to Montrose, MS this weekend and put him in a comp. hunt just to start getting him in shape....(im just not looking forward to waking up at 3:30 to make the drive from Madison, MS
macpappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2019, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
kjb

I deer hunt some, but in the past few years I have focused more on squirrel hunting as far as fall hunting goes. I grew up on the bayous outside a small delta town and back then land owners didn't care if you hunted squirrels on their land. Getting back into squirrel hunting kinda revived me on the enjoyment of hunting that I was losing with deer hunting. I am also looking forward to squirrel season opening but will probably hold out till it gets cooler.
kjb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2019, 11:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjb View Post
I deer hunt some, but in the past few years I have focused more on squirrel hunting as far as fall hunting goes. I grew up on the bayous outside a small delta town and back then land owners didn't care if you hunted squirrels on their land. Getting back into squirrel hunting kinda revived me on the enjoyment of hunting that I was losing with deer hunting. I am also looking forward to squirrel season opening but will probably hold out till it gets cooler.

I could not agree more about the enjoyment. I do love deer hunting but the serious level of it is to the annoying level. Everyone cares so much about how many inches of horn a deer has and having to stress out over how old a deer is that it is just not enjoyable. That is the reason I am stoked about my son deer hunting. I dare someone to pop off about a deers age when he shoots one.

He loves to follow my squirrel dog to. He is still the vine shaker but is on me constantly about carrying a gun. I may let him tote a small..unloaded 410 this year just to teach him safety and may let him pop up in the top of tree to make a squirrel move.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

same here...drove up to kentucky back in march and picked up a mountain feist. she was treeing at 3 months in the yard but a broken leg and the disappearance of squirrels since has slowed her progress. she will get plenty of opportunity to hone it in once the leaves come off.

we have a "squirrel camp" trip planned for next weekend. gonna be hot but i got my snake boots and therma cell ready to slip through the swamp and try to knock a few out!
delmar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2019, 06:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Love to squirrel hunt. I’ve been at it for about 6 years now. I prefer my 22 once the leaves fall, but I use a shotgun for most of October/November. I have been using a 12 ga but I’m going to try a 410 this year for the first time. I have #6 and #5 shot. Both seemed to pattern the same at 25 yards.
iflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2019, 07:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
kjb

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpappy View Post
I could not agree more about the enjoyment. I do love deer hunting but the serious level of it is to the annoying level. Everyone cares so much about how many inches of horn a deer has and having to stress out over how old a deer is that it is just not enjoyable. That is the reason I am stoked about my son deer hunting. I dare someone to pop off about a deers age when he shoots one.

He loves to follow my squirrel dog to. He is still the vine shaker but is on me constantly about carrying a gun. I may let him tote a small..unloaded 410 this year just to teach him safety and may let him pop up in the top of tree to make a squirrel move.
I finally got moved out of the delta and into the hills of Yazoo county. I always said that when I got out there, I was getting me a squirrel dog. Private school and one in college has really put a hamper on me getting a squirrel dog. But one of these days if I live long enough. We always have a "squirrel camp" hunt either the first or second weekend of season at the camp in Delta National. Unfortunately I can't make it this year. My second job has me booked both weekends. Sucks, but need the extra money for all them schools. But fortunately I work for myself during the week so I can pick and choose which mornings I hunt. Hoping it will finally cool down!
Old 10-02-2019, 06:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I finally got moved out of the delta and into the hills of Yazoo county. I always said that when I got out there, I was getting me a squirrel dog. Private school and one in college has really put a hamper on me getting a squirrel dog. But one of these days if I live long enough. We always have a "squirrel camp" hunt either the first or second weekend of season at the camp in Delta National. Unfortunately I can't make it this year. My second job has me booked both weekends. Sucks, but need the extra money for all them schools. But fortunately I work for myself during the week so I can pick and choose which mornings I hunt. Hoping it will finally cool down!

When you get caught up on work we can definitely make a hunt with my dog if you want to. I live in Madison and try to make it to Hillside a couple time a year. Never hunted Panther or Delta National so not familiar with that area but if you would like to make trip I will be glad to make it happen.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
kjb

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpappy View Post
When you get caught up on work we can definitely make a hunt with my dog if you want to. I live in Madison and try to make it to Hillside a couple time a year. Never hunted Panther or Delta National so not familiar with that area but if you would like to make trip I will be glad to make it happen.
I would love that very much!!!! I live in the hills outside Eden. I am only a couple miles from Hillside. I do most of my squirrel hunting there. I play music a few weekends a month but can go most any day during the week. I know it's crazy, but as much as I have squirrel hunted, I have never been with a dog. I have heard them run and tree at Hillside while I was in the same area hunting. That would be great! Let's keep in touch and make that happen!
Old 10-03-2019, 02:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I would love that very much!!!! I live in the hills outside Eden. I am only a couple miles from Hillside. I do most of my squirrel hunting there. I play music a few weekends a month but can go most any day during the week. I know it's crazy, but as much as I have squirrel hunted, I have never been with a dog. I have heard them run and tree at Hillside while I was in the same area hunting. That would be great! Let's keep in touch and make that happen!
get ready to own one then...

i had never hunted over a squirrel dog until last december. i now own one and am itching for these leaves to come off so i can get her goin.
delmar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2019, 06:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar View Post
get ready to own one then...

i had never hunted over a squirrel dog until last december. i now own one and am itching for these leaves to come off so i can get her goin.
It totally changes hunting for sure. I really do not even care to still hunt anymore. This time of year you can definetly kill more still hunting bc they are not on the ground much....just spending time cutting acorns, but it is so much more fun to hear that dog treeing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in