How's rabbit hunting these days? - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2020, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How's rabbit hunting these days?

The first kind of hunting I truly fell in love with was rabbit hunting. As a teenager I'd hunted dove, squirrel, and deer, and liked them all. But when I was a freshman in HS, a buddy took me rabbit hunting with his pack of beagles. It was my first experience with hunting dogs, and I was mesmerized! Sure, harvesting the rabbits was GREAT fun, but watching/hearing those incredible dogs just blew my mind. I never did pursue it with my own pack of beagles, but I accompanied rabbit hunters anytime I could. My last rabbit hunt was probably around 1987.

Right before season ended, my son brought home 3-4 large cottontails that I cleaned and put up. Yesterday I thawed a couple out, parboiled them, seasoned and fried them in peanut oil. I made some rice...some gravy...green beans...and suddenly I was transported back a couple decades. It was so good I can't even describe it! So, of course, this morning I woke up thinking about rabbits and rabbit hunting.

I know it varies by specific location, but in general what is the state of rabbit hunting in MS these days? Thirty years ago rabbits were plentiful in NW MS. A guy with a good pack of beagles could do very well weekend after weekend. These days? I have NO idea. I know I don't see them like I used to. I'm sure coyotes have had an impact, and of course rabbits depend on habitat that isn't as common now as it used to be.

Is this a good time or bad time to consider getting into rabbit hunting?
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2020, 08:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
jlt

Plenty of rabbits here on our place, but in the pines thickets it’s tough to kill good numbers in a days hunt. This year we hunted my place once with a great pack of dogs and killed 4 or 5. I could probably cut some lanes and do better, but rabbit hunting is just something for me to do in February. Not many people are going to keep a pack of beagles for a month of hunting.
jlt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2020, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlt View Post
Not many people are going to keep a pack of beagles for a month of hunting.
I think you just hit the nail right on the head, and it reminded me of something I'd forgotten when I made my post. I said I last rabbit hunted in 1987. Actually, about 5 years ago a friend invited me on a hunt, and we went to a 1200 acre soybean farm with his pack of 6-8 beagles, and we hunted the CRP on the edges. I think we killed 3...maybe 4. This man is a serious rabbit hunter; it's all he does. And just as you say he told me his biggest problem is finding places to hunt. He knows people that have access to tens of thousands of acres, but none of them will allow him to hunt during deer season. Well, "deer season" in MS is from Oct 1 to Jan 31.

So you've reminded me: rabbit populations aren't the problem. It's having a place to run dogs.

Thanks for the reality check!
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in