|05-05-2020, 09:59 PM||#1 (permalink)|
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Vicksburg, MS
Sandy Creek wma squirrel hunt rendezvous
1. This hunt is to take place Oct. 22-26, 2020.
2. All people who read this notice are invited to attend.
3. The hunt will take place at the Sandy Creek wildlife management area in south west Mississippi.
4. This is PRIMARILY a rim fire hunt. if you need to bring a shotgun to hunt with, we won't make fun of you.....too much. lol.
5.The city closest to the hunt area is Natchez. Anybody who wants to make motel reservations should try to go there as it is the closest to the campground that is going to have motels. Natchez is about 10-15 miles away.
6. Most of us plan to camp. There are 5 campgrounds on the wma. Be forewarned...there are NO electrical hookups or drinking water! If you need hookups you can stay at clear spring campgrounds in the Homochitto national forest which is about 20 minutes from Sandy Creek
7. Mississippi sells a non resident 7 day small game license for 38.00 plus a 3.00 agent fee and a 1.29 licensing fee. You will also need a non resident wma use permit for 30.00 plus a 1.00 agent fee and 1.29 licensing fee. You can buy them here https://www.ms.gov/mdwfp/licensing/login
Imformation about the requirements for a license can be found here https://www.mdwfp.com/license/hunting/
General hunting regulations can be found here https://www.mdwfp.com/law-enforcemen...ng-rules-regs/
Information about Sandy Creek WMA can be found here https://www.mdwfp.com/wildlife-hunti...t/sandy-creek/
A license can also be obtained at the wall mart in Natchez
You can put the dates of the hunt on the permit and it will become activated at that time. The limit on squirrels is 8 per day 16 in possession.
note! if you were born after Jan 1,1972, you will need a hunter safety certificate.
8. ALL GUNS MUST BE UNLOADED AND CASED WHEN INSIDE A VEHICLE AND YOU CANNOT HAVE A CENTER FIRE RIFLE OR PISTOL ON THE WMA
9. A list of things that you may want to know about would contain these items..skeeters, ticks, chiggers, poison ivy(lots!), rattlers, copperheads, and cotton mouth water moccasins. Bring insect repellent, you WILL need it. Therma cells work great around camp.
10. Snake safety! there are 3 kinds of poisonous snakes here.
a. DO NOT PUT YOUR FEET WHERE YOU CAN'T SEE!
PRETTY BASIC. IN OTHER WORDS DON'T GO
WADING OFF THROUGH SOME HAY FIELD OR WEED PATCH ON YOUR WAY TO THE WOODS.
b. DO NOT STEP OVER LOGS! INSTEAD STEP UP ON THEM AND LOOK ON THE OTHER SIDE AND IF YOU CAN'T SEE BACK UNDER IT,WALK AROUND.
c. BE VERY CAREFUL IN CLIMBING STEEP CREEK BANKS. SNAKES LIKE TO LAY UNDER THE WASHED OUT ROOTS OF TREES AND WHEN YOU
GRAB THE TRUNK TO PULL YOURSELF UP, YOUR
ENTIRE BODY CAN COME INTO STRIKING RANGE.
d. DO NOT CHASE CRIPPLED SQUIRRELS THROUGH THE WOODS! MOST OF YOU HAVE REPEATERS AND RIM FIRE AMMO IS CHEAP! IN SNAKE COUNTRY, ANY SQUIRREL THAT EVEN LOOKS LIKE HE MIGHT HAVE SOME LIFE IN HIM SHOULD BE SHOT AGAIN IMMEDIATELY!
e. If your in the woods before daylight or after dark carry a good flashlight. Probably won't help but at least you will feel better.
11.Hunters are required to keep game separately identifiable. if you share a cooler with somebody , then you will need bags that can be marked with your name
12. Women and children are welcome