Anyone Planted Yet - Page 4 - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2019, 11:54 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher View Post
Why not just eliminate the mowing part and just spray and throw a couple days later then let existing vegetation just fall over and cover your seeds?
After following this strategy for 6-7 years now, Iím not of the belief that mowing provides much benefit. It may help to hold in some moisture, but thatís the main benefit. For us, this year, moisture isnít a problem.
turkish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2019, 12:47 PM   #32 (permalink)
Tjc

Anybody ever just throw and mow without spraying? A friend of mine planted 3 plots this year this way. He just spread his seed into the standing vegetation and bush hogged it. As of now his plots look pretty good. We did 2 that way just to compare them to the growth of what was sprayed.
Tjc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 02:08 PM   #33 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjc View Post
Anybody ever just throw and mow without spraying? A friend of mine planted 3 plots this year this way. He just spread his seed into the standing vegetation and bush hogged it. As of now his plots look pretty good. We did 2 that way just to compare them to the growth of what was sprayed.
Skipping the spraying leaves live vegetation that is going to suck up your fertilizer. Johnson grass will jump right back up. If I had the inclination to skip the spraying, I would probably look at planting later so that I was closer to colder weather to kill off the summer grasses and weeds.

Old 10-21-2019, 02:37 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
In my experience, living plants somehow greatly impede germination of new seeds. I dont know the reason, but the result has been consistent and strong. Iíve done side by side tests to support it, both broadcasting and using a no-till planter. Germination and early growth is always better in dead plants. Some have good results broadcasting into sparse clover stands in the fall without spraying.
turkish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
I kinda tried this on a bow plot but the turkey ate all the seeds. Thought it was hogs but camera proved it to be turkey. Actually had to disc that plot and plant it again.
Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 07:00 PM   #36 (permalink)

It's forage oats, elbon rye and wheat that was disced and cultipacked.
clc257 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2019, 08:39 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:

I had great success with just throwing and mowing on a road that was about 30 yards wide and 200 yards long. This road was on an island which made tractor access hard to get to with high water the last few years. Last year I was able to get my zero turn over there. I threw out wheat then mowed it. It turned up great but I did have competing Johnson grass in one small area (weed eater took care of that once the frost hit). The plot looked great but unfortunately the river put it under water shortly after Christmas.
peewee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in