Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

Buttercup in your food plots

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  studdleycoonhunter75 
#1 ·
How do prevent/eliminate buttercup in your food plots without killing what you’ve planted? I know I can spray with 2-4D but will kill all of my broadleaf plants like rape, turnips and the like..

#2 ·
I can't think of any selective herbicide that will kill buttercup and not smoke brassicas. If it is causing a problem, next year might be time to plant a foodplot without broadleafs and kill off your broadleafs with a selective herbicide.

#4 ·
next year might be time to plant a foodplot without broadleafs and kill off your broadleafs with a selective herbicide..
We are thinking about spraying the plots at the end of the season, before the buttercup flowers and seeds, to see if we can kill it. The problem is the existing seed bed, we may have to do this several years in a row to get the buttercup under control.

#7 ·
We've done both tilled and throw and mow plots. Both have buttercup coming up in them. The throw and mow plots are not as bad as the tilled plots. I think disturbing the soil by disking or tilling opens up the seed bank so more buttercup will come up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.