Spraying trees - Page 2 - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2020, 11:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Once those big sweet gum are good and dead, then what do you do with them? Big dead sweet gum and strong winds don’t mix. Would you drop them where you want them or just leave them to their own and push them off with the tractor later?
Stillhuntn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2020, 07:49 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhuntn View Post
Once those big sweet gum are good and dead, then what do you do with them? Big dead sweet gum and strong winds donít mix. Would you drop them where you want them or just leave them to their own and push them off with the tractor later?

I donít do anything to them. The limbs will eventually break off and then over time the top will break out and fall. Slowly the tree decays and comes down. The only issue Iíve had is a few falling into my foodplot which hasnít been a big deal. By then they are light and relatively easy to remove by hand or push out with FEL on my tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MSNewby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2020, 08:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

Simple question, I'm sure yall will have a simple answer...but why not just get a chainsaw and cut the tree down and leave it there for cover?
macpappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 04:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpappy View Post
Simple question, I'm sure yall will have a simple answer...but why not just get a chainsaw and cut the tree down and leave it there for cover?
For me the answer is bc there are quite a few large trees and several that I know would fall right in the middle of my plot if I cut them down. I know how to use a chainsaw but not well enough to fell all the trees in the right direction. I really just need the foliage gone so sunlight can reach the floor. Spraying them gives me my desired result. Yes years from now they will fall but will be much easier to remove when they are dead. Glad to see you are still kicking Mac
MatthewRTree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2020, 02:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpappy View Post
Safety. Sunlight makes it to the ground whether itís dead or felled.
turkish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2020, 08:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

I have been hack and squirting routinely now for 5 years and it makes a huge difference...I use Arsenal mixed 5 parts Arsenal to 1 part diesel fuel....they separate like oil and water, so i shake before each spray.....we have a lot of overgrown areas from when we bought our place 10 years ago, but i have made a dent....leave them to be, and nature will takes its course...

Arsenal/diesel fuel will kill the toughest of any trees....i have been taking down a lot of privot hedge too...
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in