Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

Generic Herbicide for Grass in Clover

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  randywallace 
#1 ·
Is there a generic herbicide available for killing grass and cereal grains in food plots to allow the clover to fill in?

All of my plots have ladino top sown in them that I planted back in the fall with my 3-way blend. The Whitetail Institute products, Slay and Arrest, seem to be ridiculously expensive. Plus, as a general rule of thumb, if it has a picture of a deer on the package you're going to pay a premium for it.

#4 ·
If you have both grass and broadleaf to kill in clover, consider IMOX. When you look at the cost to apply clethodim for grass and 24db for broadleaf vs. IMOX which controls both, IMOX can be more cost effective. If you are only dealing with grass OR broadleaf, pick clethodim OR 24db depending of your problem.

#7 ·
I think the clethodium will be fine. I really don’t have any broadleaf to speak of in my plots. I use a tank sprayer on my 4-wheeler. A few years ago I bought some brass spray nozzles from McMaster-Carr, sprayer hose, and built a boomless sprayer. I also added side nozzles last year. With enough pump I can spray an entire field in 3 passes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.