Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

When to frost seed?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  lwilf 
#1 ·
I’m in NE MS and would like to frost seed some clover in some fall plots that were planted with mixed seed. When is a good time to do it? Which clover seed? #’s per acre? Anyone with proven success?

#4 ·
I don't know if frost seeding is worth the cost in Mississippi unless your planting grass seed for the spring and summer, I think you need a hard freeze, at least cold enough to freeze the ground and the soil needs to be quite barren for the seed to survive. Most of the perennial red and white clovers we plant in the fall in MS doesn't really take off and seed out until early spring, once they seed out and mature if you'll go in and clip the seed tops to help with the re-seeding process you should have a good stand most of the year. Top dress the clover with low nitrogen fertilize and it will be good to go all summer. Alyce clover is the best summer and early fall clover for wildlife but I don't think its a perennial, and the best time to plant it is in late April or early May and we don't normally get cold enough weather to frost seed during that time. I'm not up to par on frost seeding but I suspect it probably works best in the north and midwest states where they get early frost and freezes.

#5 ·
Frost seeding relies on a freeze/thaw cycle and spring rain to get seed to soil contact. I have serious doubts about it being a good use of clover seed in MS. It dang sure won't work if your plots are holding water like many of mine are at the moment. If it quit raining right now, it would take 30 days or better for mine to dry out which would put them well beyond any actual ground freezing despite freezing nighttime temps.

This is from a recent article I looked at.

Save the seed and plant it this coming fall.

#7 ·
Mr. Drysdale,

I had some lunch frost seeding years ago, but it was on a winter that was consistently cold. About 8-10 years ago.

This year the window seems to have closed and never really opened. At present it's entirely too wet. There is some info on frost seeding on QDMA's website and should be something on MSU extension. I'd probably punt, wait for drying, and perhaps plan to put some summer groceries in.

My 2 cents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.