Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

Road erosion

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ondavirg 
#1 ·
What do you guys suggest for maintaining roads in the hills? I’ve got some spots we have to work 2 or 3 times a year to keep them passable. Granted, they are significant slopes, but we have water bars built and escape route for the water to get off the road as well. I’ve been considering putting some large sized gravel on one of our main roads but I don’t want to go through the expense if it won’t work in the hills. This would be for a 200 foot stretch down and back up, not just a low water crossing. Anybody have success with something like this?

#2 ·
Honestly what I’ve seen is the more you work that area the worse it gets. I’d definitely think just adding the rock without any dirt work being done to loosen topsoil that it may work as long as topsoil isn’t disturbed.

I’ve been fighting this same issue, even flipped my tractor making water bars on it. I just gave up on it and found a path to go around it without taking any trees out. (lumber company land)

#3 ·
A lot of times, on steep slopes, loggers cut into the ridge to make it less steep. There’s no way to get water off of these spots. I’ve only seen them get better over time as the canopy closes over them.

Water bars, grass, and tree canopy are the only things that help.

#4 ·
We’re in the same boat at our camp. Paid a dozer 2 years ago to push out the road. Last year we spent a weekend with box blades and scarifiers, broke a couple, to get it passable. With all the early spring rains it’s right back in the same position, rutted the heck up. And when I say ruts, I mean ditches deep enough to hide my Kubota 50hp tractor in deep.

The timber company drug their feet planting this last cut but we’re starting to get some trees finally. Another year and we should start seeing enough shade on the roads to keep some grass, I hope. Grass is the key. Good luck and try to keep all four wheels on the ground.

#5 ·
It’s got the water bars but hard to get grass to grow on this particular stretch due to heavy canopy. I am so frustrated with it I’d spend the money on rock if it would solve the problem, just sounds like that wouldn’t be the case. We can maintain it with box blades, but it’s a 2x a year deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.