Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

First Year Spray, Throw And Mow Plots Planted

5K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  capnbo 
#1 ·
Sprayed 2 weeks ago, seeded and mowed this past Thursday before Delta rain was forecasted this past weekend. Ended up only getting 1.2" from the storm in Lauderdale county. 100 lbs each rye, wheat, 20 lbs red clover mix per acre in 5 plots. Will wait and see how it works. Was nice not discing and dragging.
Water Sky Plant Natural landscape Wood

Plant Plant community Land lot Natural landscape Tree

See less See more
#3 ·
I had plans to do it this year, but in the end I went through it in my head and it wasn't going to save me time. I will say that spraying still makes a big difference whether I till or no till.

#7 ·
It has been 3 weeks since planting and the only plot with a cell camera is showing encouraging results of the STM technique. Deer are feeding on the grass around the clock. it will be another 2 weeks before I can to up to the camp and check the other plots. Will post pictures showing how the other plots are looking.

Plant Tree Natural landscape Branch Land lot

#13 ·
Depends on what is in your plot and what you want to grow.

In some situations, we burn everything down with a non-selective herbicide, wait for the vegetative mass to brown, toss seed/fertilizer and clip down.

In clover plots, we aren't vigilant in weed suppression later in the summer. Late September, we spray those weeds/grass with a selective herbicide depending on what we are trying to kill. Once brown up occurs, we spread wheat/rye grain and additional clover. Then clip the clover high and dead matter to provide seed cover.

In a summer vetch plot, we let it fully mature until last week. We didn't spray anything because the coming frost will kill it dead immediately. We spread wheat/rye grain into the standing calf high vetch. Then clipped the vech down low to layer mulch over the seed.

It all depends on your objectives.

#12 ·
FCHunter, it will be another week before I can get back up to the camp and check on the 5 plots. Will post pictures then.

What fertilizer would be good for the rye, wheat, and red clover mix planted? Have not had a frost yet but plan on fertilizing when rain is forecast around Thanksgiving.

#19 ·
One thing I forgot to mention about STM plots. Don't let this year's success give you a false sense of security. We had absolutely perfect weather conditions leading into planting season this year. The ground was holding a considerable amount of moisture and the green vegetative matter was thick allowing for a good thatch after chemical burndown.

In years with more normal rainfall and less or drier vegetation, be careful about STM in upland areas with full, allday sunlight and areas with little vegetation for thatch. It has bitten us in the backside in years past.

#20 ·
That happened to us this year Randy. We had several plots that just weren’t thick with grass. We could see dirt the day we planted and did not get good seed cover. We have had to overseed these a couple of times in the last few weeks. The ones that had thick weeds/grass look great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.