Food plot help for a newbie - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2020, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Food plot help for a newbie

For years my dad has put in a small food plot on his property. When the kids were young it was for them to get their first opportunities. Then he kept the tradition so he could see deer when he was piddling around. Well...as hard as it is to acknowledge it, he just can't do it anymore. So I want to surprise him and do his food plot myself. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I know NOTHING about planting a food plot! I did help Dad a couple years, but it would be something like driving the tractor or 4-wheeler a little bit. He did all the planning and the work. So I really need some very basic instruction.

Is it still early enough? I can start work tomorrow. I need to bush-hog the area (approx 1-1.5 acres) and then disk it. Dad would normally mix the seed with the fertilizer and cast it out by hand. Then he would drag a gate from a chain-link fence behind his 4-wheeler to mix it all in, then finish with a water-filled roller behind the 4-wheeler. His little plot always turned out great.

Do I still have time? What plot mix should I buy? How much and what kind of fertilizer? Can I skip any of the steps above? Is there a better way? Thank you!
jakesnake66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2020, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

You still have plenty of time. All I can tell you is how we do it. We bush hog plots and spray round up a few days later. Wait two weeks and then till our fertilize in with a rear tine tiller. Spread seed (been using Pennington’s Mississippi Complete for about six years) and then drag with a section of doubled up chain link fence behind four wheeler. We have planted 14 food plots this year just like that. BTW if it is a new plot that has not been planted in the past years we disc before we till. If it has been planted in past years the tiller is all that is needed. All plots are up and look great with the rain we have had. Deer are already hammering them.
Mr Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2020, 09:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Itís definitely not to late. What equipment do you have access to?
canebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2020, 12:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Throw seed out then bush hog standing grass and pray for rain. Fertilize after 1st killing frost so native summer grass dies off.
Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2020, 03:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher View Post
Throw seed out then bush hog standing grass and pray for rain. Fertilize after 1st killing frost so native summer grass dies off.
I’d do this
Tjc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2020, 07:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Itís definitely not to late. What equipment do you have access to?
I have a late-60s Ford 5000 tractor, bush-hog, disk, chain-link gate (poor man's harrow), drum roller.

I'd like to do the simplest method possible, because I'll be doing it by myself and I really only have this week to get it done. I think the area is about 1 acre.

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
This area was bush hogged about 10 days ago, and it's about 6-10" high now. So throw my seed out onto/into this grass, then bush hog right after? Don't fertilize until until cold weather?

Thanks.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake66 View Post
This area was bush hogged about 10 days ago, and it's about 6-10" high now. So throw my seed out onto/into this grass, then bush hog right after? Don't fertilize until until cold weather?

Thanks.
If itís that short then probably better off passing disc a few times then throw seed and cover.

Next year throw your seed out 1st then bush hog plot to cover seed with thatch.
Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2020, 10:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
If itís that short then probably better off passing disc a few times then throw seed and cover.

Next year throw your seed out 1st then bush hog plot to cover seed with thatch.
Thatís exactly what I would do.
canebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2020, 09:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake66 View Post
I have a late-60s Ford 5000 tractor, bush-hog, disk, chain-link gate (poor man's harrow), drum roller.

I'd like to do the simplest method possible, because I'll be doing it by myself and I really only have this week to get it done. I think the area is about 1 acre.

Thanks.
before you get started... go get you a couple tubes of grease. grease every alemite you can find. grease is you're friend.
mississippi2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in