Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums banner

AG Lime questions??

8K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  randywallace 
#1 ·
Hey fellows, I am having trouble finding ag lime in my area. I am located in Yazoo county and I need 1 ton of ag lime. I have contacted the Madison county co-op and all they have is pelletized. Sanders in Yazoo City and Canton says they can get it but they get it in the truckloads and they can not order a truck load just because I need 1 ton. Does anyone know where I can get 1 ton of ag lime and rent a lime buggy around the Yazoo City/Canton/Madison area. I have a whirly bird PTO spreader for my tractor, but someone said that would not work. Any suggestions, info, or advice is greatly needed. Thanks.

#3 ·
There is a place just west of the interstate at Canton that rents a lime buggy at the fork of 22 and Virilia rd.
Now you have to get lime, you could order it delivered, but it would be about a 7 to minimum
Best to find a coop that has some and drive the buggy to them.

South Jackson has a place off 55 that has some, vicksburg, or maybe check with local Helena which one has them.

If not check with some local farmers
Ask Helena if anyone spreads, Roy Heidel used to.

Using a whirlybird spreader will work if the lime is super dry, any moisture and it will cake up

#4 ·
Thanks Gttrambler and gibowhunter. I did contact Helena and they did not have any. I stopped by the place west of Canton near Virilia rd. and they wanted $200.00 per day on the lime buggy rental[cursing] . I found some lime at Falco Chemical in Vicksburg for $29 a ton. I'm just gonna make a trip to Vicksburg and have them load it in the bed of my pick-up and try my luck at spreading it with my whirly bird. If that don't work, I will take to the mexican backhoe. And since I'm in Vicksburg.... I'm gonna cross the river and purchase some lottery tickets and maybe then I can afford to rent the lime buggy in Canton.[rofl] [rofl] Thanks for the info fellows.

#9 ·
Well, I found the lime at Falco chemical in Vicksburg. In my mind I was thinking that they would keep it in a dry house so maybe it would be easier to spread with the whirly bird, but it was very damp. No problem though, I used the old shovel to get it spread.[cursing] Bucnrut, I wish I would have seen your comment earlier. I wouldn't mind paying you a rental fee in the future if the offer still stands on the lime spreader. Thanks for all the input fellows. I got the lime spread and got it disced in this afternoon. Hope I reap the benefits after the lime does it's magic on the soil and brings my PH into balance.

#19 ·
Aside from this post being 7-1/2 years old, what’s the big problem with pelletized lime?? For us guys only planting food plots I would imagine the pelletized would be just fine. The one time I put lime out that’s what I used and it broadcasts great out of the tractor seed sower. I know it takes longer for it to do its job versus ag lime but for all of the extra cost and effort I’ll just wait.

#20 ·
This whole ph and lime thing is overblown. I planted some Imperial whitetail clover on ground that tested 5.2 ph last year and it grew really well and the deer and turkeys have hammered it down to the dirt. Im afraid they have hit it so hard I may have to replant it again this fall which defeats the purpose of perennial clover. It was knee high and thick in April and 1- 2 inches high right now. I was amazed how they ate it during the summer.

#21 ·
Some clovers like durana are tolerant to lower ph but thrive in the 6 -6.5 range. I haven't tested soil in years. We toss fertilizer and occasionally lime, and roll on.

Dang weeds and grasses have been a pain in the backside this year from all the rain. Farmlogs says we are about 1/3 wetter than average. We never did get a real good handle on a few of the problem weeds (yellow nutsedge and smartweed).

If you have 2 inch tall clover now, it should take off again with cooler fall weather. I dang sure wouldn't replant if this is your first year. Spray the weeds and overseed any thin spots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.