Yes, YouTubers have an impact. I videoed the 'Pinhoti Crawl' - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2020, 08:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Yes, YouTubers have an impact. I videoed the 'Pinhoti Crawl'

So i'm walking out of the woods the other morning and see a turkey hunter sitting in the road. He flags me off and points to the side. I just plop down and watch the situation unfold. Hadn't heard a gobble all morning due to the recent slaughterfest and insane hunting pressure, so I was happy to finally get some action!

He eventually sheds his vest and starts what I shall henceforth refer to as the 'Pinhoti Crawl'. Those who watch Dave Owens know what I am talking about. The hunter imitates it PERFECTLY! I seriously thought for a second I was watching Dave and even looked for a video camera. My next thought was jokingly, "Wonder if this fella has gaiters on?". This goes on for a few minutes and the hunter eventually goes back to his vest and starts walking my way.

As he approaches me, I was speechless. Pinhoti Project cap. Bottomland Camo. Leafy suit. Gaiters. Fastfire 3. A freakin' spitting image of Dave's attire! I didn't pay much attention to the gun but i'm willing to bet it was a 20 gauge with TSS.

The fellow tells me he saw 2 hens in the road. As they faded off he snuck up and heard drumming. He never saw the gobbler. So I ask him if he plans to circle the birds to try and cut them off. His response, "Nope, since has hens, i'll just drop a pin and try to find another'. Sound familiar in regards to Dave's before work hunts?

I'd already been looking at the topo and showed the fella how he could make a rounder on the birds. There terrain was perfect for it. If he wasn't going to try, I was!!! I guess I eventually convinced him and he said he'd hang around and see if anything happened.

The guy was a non-resident (like me) in his mid-20s new to hunting public land in that state.

I LOVE the content put out by the YouTubers. After the season is over, I will watch nearly every episode of a couple channels. But I am seeing a lot of hunters denying that the YouTubers are having an impact on our public lands. I have NEVER had an encounter with a hunter in the woods where they have asked me about a YouTuber....Until this spring. I have had no less than a half dozen occasions where a random hunter asks me something like "You watch *insert popular YouTubers*?" or "Ahh, so you travel like them THP boys?". I couldn't help but laugh when I was asked the second question as I have been traveling longer than most of the THP crew have been turkey hunting.

Since I finished up in MS, i've been hunting 2 adjoining states every weekened where the YouTubers have posted lots of videos from the past two springs. The crowds have been absolutely unreal and unlike anything I've ever seen. Even unsafe on certain areas. Yes, I know Corona is having a huge impact on the hunting pressure. But you cannot ignore the impact of social media as well. I'm witnessing way too many things related to social media. I STAY on turkey hunting forums during the spring and lots of other serious public land hunters are seeing similar things as well.

I'm posting this not because i'm mad or have a bone to pick. I just want folks to be aware of what is unfolding in front of us. I suspect public land in select areas next year will once again be inundated like never before, Corona or not. And I know we are going to have a lot more Pinhoti Crawlers in the woods. Can put folks in a dangerous situation if they are unknowingly crawling a bird someone else is set up on... But as long as we are recruiting more hunters, no problem, right?

Sorry for the wall of text. Enjoy watching Pinhoti's #1 fan crawl a turkey

Last edited by deerhunt1988; 04-17-2020 at 08:53 AM.
deerhunt1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2020, 09:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

I am still suprised that hardly any folks have been shot doing the scoot and shoot behind a fan. I don't know any of the hunting personalities that you mention to know who he is replicating but, that is funny as all get out.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

I miss the late 80's when no one seemed to hunt these birds. Main reason I got into it was because a guy I grew up with flat refused to even take me hunting with him. Very very reclusive small group of fellas to say the least. None of which still hunt today and will flat tell ya the sport was ruined by video's. I am starting to agree.
nomad 32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 10:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
jlt

I know what road that is DH!! I remember those sticks on the right side😜
jlt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2020, 10:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
jlt

Let me just say this......I’m not a huge fan of Dave or his vids, but I do really like Aaron, Jake, Greg and Ted on THP. I would encourage each of you that has a beef with what they are doing to reach out to them and let them know. I bet they will listen and talk openly about the issues. Aaron and Greg are as straight up guys as you will ever meet and you wouldn’t believe the sponsor opportunities that they have turned down to cater to what they feel is their audience. Sitka, Matthew’s bows, FirstLite, etc....... to name a few. I can promise you that they listen to what their viewers say.
jlt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2020, 11:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

I like their content. When Dave started the pinhoti project I feel like he was sick of all the decoy spreads, ground blinds and 70 yard shots and wanted to show that you don’t need that stuff to kill turkeys. I feel like he had good intentions. It was nice to see something closer to how I like to play the game, minus the crawling. THP is about the same especially Aaron. THP isn’t as secretive as I think they should be about what gets in their videos, one hunt in Alabama they had the road number and all in the video. Either way I can just about guarantee I don’t have to worry about them hunting the NF where I am.
Red-Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2020, 12:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Haha. That fella nearly could've been me. I had a closet full of bottomland and was toting a TSS 20 gauge long prior to Dave airing his stuff but decided to try a pair of gaiters after listening to him talk about how much he liked them in an episode. I wore them on an out of state trip last year and realized how much I looked like the guy so I shoved them back in the truck!

I enjoy both THP and Pinhoti but they have definitely increased public land pressure. I remember just a few years ago, public land wasn't in most people's vocabulary. Now that's one of the first questions if you're recounting a hunt to someone. Killing a public land turkey or buck has become the "cool" thing to do thanks to these shows that we enjoy.

I suppose I'm at an impasse with myself in that I can't decide if I like or dislike them due to increased pressure. But, that goes for all social media. I'm as guilty as anyone for posting pictures and stories and enjoy looking at them myself but in reality that does nothing but add more pressure. Heck, Blount, you're one of the main reasons I started traveling 7-8 years ago. I saw all the success you and your dad had through this forum and Facebook and figured if ya'll could do it I'd give it a shot too.

If I could change anything about them it would be that they all go to greater lengths to disguise where they are hunting. With THP, it has been no trouble to figure out where they are in MS and AL. I haven't watched the TN stuff yet but I'd bet that it will be relatively easy to pinpoint as well.
swamp hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2020, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlt View Post
Let me just say this......I’m not a huge fan of Dave or his vids...
Any particular reason why?

Quote:
...Aaron and Greg are as straight up guys as you will ever meet...
I've never met any of them but have watched the majority of their videos and those 2 are several notches above the others in my book.

Quote:
...you wouldn’t believe the sponsor opportunities that they have turned down to cater to what they feel is their audience. Sitka, Matthew’s bows, FirstLite, etc....... to name a few.
Aaron shot Hoyt and Zach shot Mathews 2 seasons ago. Aaron's was likely a leftover from Midwest Whitetail but maybe Zach bought his?? This past year they were obviously sponsored by Bear/Trophy Ridge. I'm not buying that they went that route because it catered to their audience. If that was indeed their motivation then I don't understand their logic. As for the camo, I totally get why they do what they do.
Jbird22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2020, 06:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunt1988 View Post
As he approaches me, I was speechless. Pinhoti Project cap. Bottomland Camo. Leafy suit. Gaiters. Fastfire 3. A freakin' spitting image of Dave's attire! I didn't pay much attention to the gun but i'm willing to bet it was a 20 gauge with TSS.

..."Ahh, so you travel like them THP boys?". I couldn't help but laugh when I was asked the second question as I have been traveling longer than most of the THP crew have been turkey hunting.
Well, I don't have a Pinhoti hat, leafy jacket, nor gaiters BUT I do wear OG Bottomland or Greenleaf (since it was reintroduced), have a FF2 on my gun (since 2011) and carry a 20 ga with TSS (4 seasons now). I guess if someone sees me in the woods they'll assume I'm a Pinhoti fanboy just like that guy assumed "them THP boys" inspired you to travel.
Jbird22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2020, 07:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

I can only imagine how bad Al and TN will be next year. Especially TN
sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in