Plans and Thoughts for Spring 2021? - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2021, 08:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Plans and Thoughts for Spring 2021?

I guess it is getting close enough to ask the question about your 2021 season. Are you traveling anywhere and/or what you think the spring 2021 will be like in your neck of the woods?

I was unexpectedly drawn for a quota hunt in Florida, so I am heading there. Plus, I have a few days on a piece of private in Florida, totally out of the blue invitation. And I was invited on a 3 day hunt in southwest Alabama, which I will hit on the way home from Florida. Furthermore, it was confirmed on Monday that I still have access to a place by the house that I thought I had lost after last season. By the time I get back from Florida and Alabama, I may have had enough, but probably not quite.

I am optimistic based on what I saw last year in terms of jakes in SE Louisiana (St. Helena/East Feliciana Parishes). I have also been seeing quite a few turkeys around lately. I am only really interested in shooting one a year here, but if I kill one in Florida and/or Alabama, I may not shoot one here. But, given the chance, I probably will.
longbeard2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2021, 09:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

After seeing what social media has done for the traveling turkey hunter.. I really don't like discussing my travel plans anymore except with those I trust. I cringe all the time now reading forum and social media posts discussing out of state hunts. I also laugh cause I know what some are heading into with some of those spots. Unfortunately for these folks, they will never get to experience what some of those places once offered. But I sure hope they still fall in love with those spots to keep them away from where I am.

Off my soapbox... I plan on hitting 3-4 new states. Mostly on eastern seaboard. And i'll be hunting another state or two that is closer.
deerhunt1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2021, 11:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

with opening week coinciding with our school's spring break i am really looking forward to those first few days. i'll get to travel down to my favorite turkey spots and spend 4 days in a row hunting and fishing...i rarely get 2 days in a row down there.

have seen signs up here around the house that we may have a good year next year, but the pressure is always high on the private and public. i just hope to get to hear a few gobbles on the mornings i'll be able to hunt.
delmar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 02:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

We hunt two tracts of land that have different owners but are right next to each other. The old man who owned one of the tracts died a couple months ago and they are clear cutting it right now. There’s a group of turkeys with 3 longbeards in it and the group frequents both tracts so I’m curious to see how they react, especially when they begin cutting next to the property line. I hope they just migrate over to our other tract and not further south or west across the creek.

I have another spot about 15 miles south of me that has 2-3 longbeards on it as well. I’m waiting for a dry spell so I can bushhog the gas line that runs through it. I didn’t do it this year because they were supposed to cut the timber but they never did.

I may go on an out of state hunt or two depending on what’s going on at that time.

Last edited by mossyman; 02-05-2021 at 02:19 PM.
mossyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2021, 04:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

I will hunt MS mostly public when I have the chance. I’m going to be making some trips OOS my work schedule lined up good for traveling this year. If everything goes ok I will hit several new states this year. Trying to work out a FL youth trip for my kids but that’s still up in the air.
BBR12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2021, 11:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
jlt

Hope to finish up in the northeast except for Delaware. It’ll be a great year if I could make that happen!!
jlt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2021, 05:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

For right now Iím planning on hunting south, north, and possibly somewhere else new. I just hope to get the time off for my traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MS TurkeySlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2021, 06:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

As of right now , I have quite a bit of time off. So we will see. Im going to go as many places as I safely can without killing myself, I don't want to feel like im in a rush like I typically do. I don't know how this year will turn out....covid is still everywhere, there are still a lot more people using the outdoors...everybody is out of work, but nobody thats out of work is out of money..?….or at least that's the way it seemed last turkey season, and this past deer season for those that know what im talking about. Good luck to all.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

I have 40 or so days off between March 15th and May 15th,, my tenth year of tenure added a lot of vacation.. I have tried to keep everything fluid, I just know I will be moving around a good bit.. May hit the county next door and see if i can strike one..

"In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen."

-Theodore Roosevelt
HNHOutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2021, 08:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default Work/Money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzsmith View Post
As of right now , I have quite a bit of time off. So we will see. Im going to go as many places as I safely can without killing myself, I don't want to feel like im in a rush like I typically do. I don't know how this year will turn out....covid is still everywhere, there are still a lot more people using the outdoors...everybody is out of work, but nobody thats out of work is out of money..?Ö.or at least that's the way it seemed last turkey season, and this past deer season for those that know what im talking about. Good luck to all.

I kind of noticed the same thing. In my case, I ended up getting a promotion and a permanent position that can be run from home/truck/phone, so it might seem like I wasn't working in that I could be in the woods for at least a little while each day. With the potential stimulus checks coming out around mid-March, I expect it to be about the same this spring in many places.
longbeard2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in