Draw hunt BS!!!! - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2020, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Draw hunt BS!!!!

https://www.mdwfp.com/media/news/wil...020-21-season/
No stand by and unit picked by them. All this just to keep the group meeting down/ social distancing maintained is ridiculous. Maybe after this junk plays out when nobody shows up the draw will come to a final end. Next thing cancel the hunting in the draw WMAs completely. A fifth grader could come up with better than this.
Stupidity is now regulating the managers...

Last edited by 3denduke; 09-15-2020 at 05:15 PM.
3denduke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2020, 12:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

As someone still new to waterfowl hunting, do you think this will drive up the number of people applying to the draw, or will it turn some off? I applied to every waterfowl draw last year and got none. We were fortunate enough, though, that my daughter drew a waterfowl hunt at Pearl River, now that was a blast! We're already strategizing for this year, and eyeballing places that are 'no-draw' that allow waterfowl hunting.
bpitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2020, 02:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

In the past only 25% of the predraw winners ever show up. Standby usually would allow for people locally or maybe up to 1 1/2 hr away to get to hunt. Sometimes too crowded for all though. The smaller WMAs May have better predraw show up I don’t know. Still could work first come.
They shouldn’t be concerned about separating a hunt group of 4 from each other. They need to protect the COs and avoid the gang up at the draw rooms. My idea is for example if there’s 20 huntable units. On a first come first serve allow 20 trucks to stage and pick a number down on entrance road. At 4:30-5:00 first truck group leader gets out goes to a unit board with the A copy cards of his group members and pick a unit and leave an envelope on that nail with his teams cards. There would be a map with that unit for him to take. A CO monitors this from his truck a distance away. Next truck and so on. Everyone has equal chance based on first come. Sleeping in truck all night whatever. When truck 21 sees no more holes it’s over. Not perfect but doable. The draw was to enable anybody from anywhere a chance. But I’ve always felt locals around WMAs deserve first choice. Not perfect but forget preseason draw. It don’t work anyway....25%...WTF!

That’s what happens normally you go to a WMA and if someone is ahead of you at your hole gotta go plan B, C. Those problem WMAs have 40 acre units already in place to use for separation.

Last edited by 3denduke; 09-16-2020 at 03:03 PM.

Old 09-16-2020, 03:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3denduke View Post
In the past only 25% of the predraw winners ever show up. Standby usually would allow for people locally or maybe up to 1 1/2 hr away to get to hunt. Sometimes too crowded for all though. The smaller WMAs May have better predraw show up I donít know.
I hunt some smaller WMAs that offer standby hunting....... it's exactly the same. Especially when the shooting is slow. I went on 3 hunts last year where NOT A SINGLE DRAWN HUNTER showed up.

This was/is a disaster of a decision. I can think of a dozen different ways standby hunting could have been allowed and maintain social distancing. It might have been inconvenient in some way, but this is awful.

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae
Smoke68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2020, 03:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

I hear ya Smoke. First come first serve and social distancing at truck parks. The only good thing about the draw crap they did divide the areas in 40 acre units that helps keeps Yahoos from setting up on you.You gotta hand it to the MDWFP guys they do a great job creating duck holes when BigMuddy allows them at planting time but they need to let the COs manage w/o the politics. Heck they had youth dove hunts and teal. How did that go?

Last edited by 3denduke; 09-16-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I hear ya Smoke. First come first serve and social distancing at truck parks. The only good thing about the draw crap they did divide the areas in 40 acre units that helps keeps Yahoos from setting up on you.You gotta hand it to the MDWFP guys they do a great job creating duck holes when BigMuddy allows them at planting time but they need to let the COs manage w/o the politics. Heck they had youth dove hunts and teal. How did that go?
The youth dove hunt went great! My daughter got drawn for the one at Muscadine Farms, and we made the drive all the way from Hattiesburg (which brings up another point...no dove fields in south Mississippi on WMA's). Anyway, they had us stay outside at the HQ while they covered safety stuff, then fed us (good food, too), everyone pretty much kept masks on, then we walked across the road and they gave the kids a chance to shoot at some clays before the hunt started. Once we got to the dove field, the masks weren't required. It worked good, saw plenty of dove. My kid was able to bag her first dove, as well as her friend that came along.
bpitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2020, 05:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
You gotta hand it to the MDWFP guys they do a great job creating duck holes when BigMuddy allows them at planting time but they need to let the COs manage w/o the politics.

Maybe..........., but what good is duck hole, even a bad one, if you can't hunt it? They only allow hunting 3 days a week, that's pitiful right there, sad and pathetic, almost criminal. But wait, you'll have to be drawn to hunt one of those three days, even sadder. Only three days, so sad.

Did you notice that now, even if you are drawn, they assign the "holes" (hunt units) at that time.

I can assure you that you will NEVER see standby hunting again. China virus has given them the excuse they've been looking for, it's gone forever. Too much hassle and manpower before dawn. They only allowed standby hunters to appease the criticism brought by the draw haters (like me). But the draw haters have moved on or died out, there is a now a crew of face painters that embrace the suck.

I want to know who's going to be the master of ceremonies at the 5:00 a.m. go time, directing traffic.

I hope that I am so very wrong and everyone can point that out next year and tell me what a fool I am.
ScooterMcgee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2020, 10:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Been having this junk since 2006. One time rumored there was gonna be road block protest. That morning 30 COs showed up... For long time standby worked even driving hour and a half. Then got to where too many showed up and that became a crap shoot. Last few years low duck numbers killed that for most part. Now another killer. Covid. Agr practices now days doesn’t leave waste grain so ducks don’t feed at nite and come to GTR to loaf anymore. Leases struggle even providing habitat. Public hunting sucks more and more. Looks like the flyway has seemed to shift west. Yada, yada....
Doesnt do any good to complain unless you can offer a solution.

Last edited by 3denduke; 09-21-2020 at 10:47 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in