Trolling Newb - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2018, 07:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Trolling Newb

Got my boat set up for trolling finally, tired of coming home with an empty box. My dad is coming down and we are gong to hit the Rez tomorrow and Friday. I've got allot of spots marked on my GPS (humps, channel drops, old lakes...etc) any tips on how deep they been lately and what color jigs to try.
jsthntn247 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2018, 05:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Since you haven't got any replies, I offer what little help I can.

Won't matter what you have marked, if the fish ain't there. Look for fish on your electronics, fish a way that covers some water until you find some fish, like pushing/pulling cranks.

I don't think color will matter right now, but try pink/bubble gum, or chartreuse. Give them an assortment and let the fish tell you what they want.

I seen others fishing shallower water, while I was out in 30-35' pulling cranks 12-15' deep.

Good luck, and enjoy your time on the lake with your pop, that's the most important thing.
Team36Grit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2018, 07:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

On the rez right now all you need to do is find the deep lakes...any of them out in the big water and fish the ledges around them. The fish that have laid their eggs are out at the deep lakes and river ledges. There are still a few(mostly males and medium size females) in the spawning waters, but you got to be there at daylight to catch them. The water temp is getting up to 93 in the shallows and the crappie just can't stay there with it that hot. It has been a really weird year for crappie fishing. Fish have been on fire since early April but I don't believe most of the females are gonna spawn(water temp jumped too fast). Most of the females I'm catching now are absorbing their eggs.

Last edited by macpappy; 05-18-2018 at 07:49 AM.
macpappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in