Arrow selection? - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2018, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

I’ve read the charts and at a loss.

Bow: browning wasp. 56” I’m assuming 40# @ 28”.

I’ll be shooting at 26.5” dL. Again being I don’t have a scale I’m assuming I’ll be pulling somewhere in the 34-37lb range. Assuming.

What spine arrows and point weights would be a good starting point to begin the tune? I’ve tried .500 w/ 100 grain tips cut @ 27.5” long and am experiencing erratic flight. Old arrows I had laying around.

Anywhere I can order a tuning batch of arrows? Somewhere I can try different spines/arrows to see what works? Most places the sell by the 1/2 dozen and my economics don’t support that right now if they don’t work.

What say y’all? Having a blast shooting it and it’s a major change from the compound and crossbow. Now it’s tkme to get it right and serious about it.

Also, while I have your attn. I know the bow has a special type of string. A guy in oxford made it for me some time ago. I’ve lost his contact or would contact directly. Question. I believe it’s a macron(sp) string. What type of wax should I be putting on the string?

Thanks

Tom

Last edited by Missed mallards 1; 07-04-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Missed mallards 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2018, 06:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

That 500 is too stiff, especially at that length. I would try a .600 and leave it full length. When you cut them, you’re just making them stiffer. I’d also start with 125gr points but don’t be surprised if you need to go a little heavier. You shouldn’t have any trouble making these work, you may just need to play with point weight a little. If you’re shooting off the shelf, you need feather fletching. You can use plastic games if shooting off an elevated rest. As far as strings, that bow needs a Dacron string as it’s not really compatible with modern string materials. Hope this helps. Kevin
kmbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2018, 09:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

You can order test kits of arrows from 3Rivers for sure. I would also consider aluminum as well, they are still a good arrow and quite cheaper than carbon. Especially when you're starting out and may be slinging some in the bushes on accident (heck I still do that ). Also, make sure you are getting a clean release because that can affect arrow flight as well.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply’s.

Going to try the 600 spines and get a set of points and get to tuning.

Been shooting 3 under or Apache, going to try a tab. Figured it may help with a more crisp release. Fingers are kind of raw lol.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

I swapped to a tab several years ago and haven't looked back. I love that thing
Old 07-05-2018, 10:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missed mallards 1 View Post
Thanks for the reply’s.

Going to try the 600 spines and get a set of points and get to tuning.

Been shooting 3 under or Apache, going to try a tab. Figured it may help with a more crisp release. Fingers are kind of raw lol.
A .600 should fly a lot better. I probably wouldn’t cut them shorter than 30”, at least to start. See how they fly first, you can shorten them after that if you need to. I switched to a tab 6 or 7 years ago and prefer it to a glove. Black Widow and Bateman both make a good 3 under tab and are both inexpensive at $10-15. I’m shooting a SafariTuff tab now and really like it. Very good quality and long wearing. They run a little more at $30 but they last a long time!
kmbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2018, 08:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Lancaster sells individual shafts, which can be cheaper than buying the test kits. Agree with others that I'd start with full-length 600s, maybe Gold Tip Entradas for a low-cost test.
Blue Moose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2018, 04:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply’s! Went with the full length gold tip traditions on .600 spine. 125 grain seems to do ok, although I’m going to tinker with some heavier points.

This is my first stent in the traditional realm. From my perspective I thought it was rather simple. Grab a bow, get some tuned arrows, and shoot the bullseye! I could write a book about days one learning experiences.

Gap shooting? Instinct? Different anchor points? Grip, did i mention grip! Different affects of canting the bow. The smile u get when u release and just know. The thump that u hear when u release and it feels off and slams the backstop. I’ll be honest, the release effect was quite nice. Judging different yardage’s without a site pin! Raw fingers cause it’s addicting!

I’ve got a long ways to go for sure. Today I just shot to see what the fuss is all about. I can see this being quiet the endeavor. My first 3 arrows released yielded 1 that hit the target. It got better and arrows 200-204 where in a nice 4” group at 15 yards.

Thanks for the arrow advice, I’m sure I’ll be back with many many more questions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in