Trad Harvest - Page 2 - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2020, 06:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

I appreciate the comments everyone!
Stringwacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2020, 06:15 AM   #12 (permalink)

Congrats on the doe Stringwacker. I am 0-2 this season, evening of the 2nd and morning of the 3rd, both deer standing in the same spot at 15 yards lol. That puts me at 0-7 since going trad 4 years ago, that first kill will eventually come though.
8uptradhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2020, 09:30 AM   #13 (permalink)

I feel the pain on your 0-7 journey up to this point. The fact your bow hasn't been already burned in the fire place or sold at a garage sale tells me your committed to the challenge and understand it will make the first successful harvest that much sweeter.

All of us have been there. I know I probably missed that many times before I was successful...maybe even more!

One day many years ago when I was having the same issues, I thought about the fact that I was a pretty decent shot. I mean seriously...I would take a practice shot at a leaf from the tree stand at the conclusion of the morning hunt.... and drill it about 90% of the time. When I missed....I was darn close.

With that thought, a revelation hit me. Why not just aim at a leaf in front of the deer and shoot when the deer blocked it out? Obviously, you need to wait a second before you release for the shoulder to clear; but just mentally keep focused on the leaf image. I killed my very first traditional archery deer the next time I shot.

It might not work for you but did wonders for me. Once the monkey comes off your back and your confidence is instilled; it gets much easier. I’m 7-1 in my last 8 shots but I missed the one four times!!! The wheels can always come off more ways than one.

Thank goodness you never master bowhunting because it's hard; and its the hard part that keeps it interesting!

Last edited by Stringwacker; 10-17-2020 at 11:42 AM.

Old 10-18-2020, 06:58 AM   #14 (permalink)

Yes I am committed to it and know my problem is mostly between the ears. Gave the compound away a year after starting trad and have no plans on going back. I can kill a target 95% of the time at 20yds and in but seem to have an issue on a live animal. Of my 7 misses I didn't pick a spot on 6 of them and plucked the **** out of the string on this last one.

I have since changed my shot routine and have been shooting better than ever and have confidence my first kill will come soon.....well as soon as my foot heals.

"Thank goodness you never master bowhunting because it's hard; and its the hard part that keeps it interesting!" I agree with this 100%.

Thanks for the encouragement, I will keep after it and sooner or later when I least expect it that magical day will come.
8uptradhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2020, 07:08 AM   #15 (permalink)

Congratulations on the Trad nanny! I look forward to reading about your Kansas trip!
trapperb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2020, 02:56 PM   #16 (permalink)

That's awesome! Congrats
haypatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2020, 07:28 PM   #17 (permalink)

The new bow is 2-0. I was able to take this 86 pound doe early Saturday morning. It was a little smaller than I originally thought, but I know she will make some good smoked sausage.

Now if I could just shoot a mature buck, I would think of it as a complete season!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3129.jpg (280.6 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Stringwacker; 12-06-2020 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tjc

She’s plenty big enough!! Congrats
Tjc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2020, 05:51 PM   #19 (permalink)

Yes sir thatís gonna be some fine tasting meat right there! Congrats on #2 with that bow!
Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2020, 07:00 PM   #20 (permalink)

Thanks fellows!

I have to say I can't ever remember a young deer having so much pure white body fat...obviously from the heavy acorn crop this year, I took her to a new processor for some smoked sausage (Jelen's in Madden) and I was really impressed with the facility cleanliness and people. Would like to try so other products they have. Might need to shoot one more

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in