Kansas Traditional Hunt - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2020, 09:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

I thought I might try to give an update from today forward for the balance of my hunt. I’ve been here a week tomorrow and it’s been incredibly hot and muggy. This morning is a welcome relief with temps in the mid 30’s and a stiff northwest wind. The rut should be at its peak but I’ve yet to see any chasing. I’m settled in for the day from a ground blind in a spot that has thousands of tracks (really) and I’m ready for the weather to start some movement. Late yesterday; the temp went from 75 to 55 in one gust and I had a nice 8 point come by 10 minutes later. Will try to keep you posted just to kill some time[IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.bullnettlenews.com/images/smilies/smiley.gif[/IMG]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 282E09EC-3E67-4EB5-AEE8-DDB4ADCCC82E_1605017227040.jpg (197.5 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by Stringwacker; 11-16-2020 at 07:41 AM.
Stringwacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2020, 09:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Just had a wide 6 point at 15 yards. Not nearly big enough but exciting from the ground!
Old 11-10-2020, 10:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Good luck, I have a buddy hunting Kansas right now and has said same thing bout weather.
Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2020, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tjc

Good luck!! Keep us posted
Tjc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2020, 06:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Good Luck!! Thousands may be a understatement!
haypatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2020, 09:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

This morning is in the mid 20’s and is very much like a mid January hunt back home. The frost is heavy; taking several minutes for the windshield to defrost this morning. It’s 7:49 and I’ve already seen a buck chasing a doe on a distant hillside.

Yesterday was one of those great hunts that you remember. I was sitting on the ground in a chair due to no climbable trees. Sitting all day I saw 9 bucks; four of which passed within 12 yards of my stick blind....never seeing me. These were singular bucks spread out over the morning. The bad thing was dispite all these bucks; they all were small. One was a 14” wide 8 point but I didn’t come all this way to shoot the one buck I was allowed this size. This despite the fact that I’m usually a proud unabashed member of the “ pop em young club” 😁

My buddy had a shot at a huge buck about 2pm yesterday but as often happens in bowhunting ( especially traditional bowhunting) it just didn’t work out. We have a long time to hunt and it’s the peak of the rut in the land of the giants... so maybe it will happen again. That buck I saw might be working closer. Got to go until tomorrow!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63C10E5F-BEE6-4DCD-940F-1556FB932FD3_1605124808518.jpg (223.0 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by Stringwacker; 11-11-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Today is an odd day; winds starting in the south and switching to a 20 to 30 mile an hour northwest wind by mid morning. It plays havoc with both stand selection and clothing for the colder weather the NW winds will bring. I’m leaving for the stick blind where I saw all the bucks Tuesday making sure the wind has changed before I get there.
Yesterday started good with the buck I’m now calling “Fred” following a doe. I have a stand called “the hole” that Is the center of Freds universe. I’ve made four trips there and Fred always shows up. Fred’s a tall tined 8 point with a narrow spread and small mass. He the best buck that I see though not a shooter. He also not very bright as he still has never noticed my presence despite being with 20 yards several times. He should be a good buck next year.

Yesterday other than Fred, I saw three doe deer. One bedded in the grass 10 yards behind me for 35 minutes late yesterday afternoon and never knew I was there despite a wind that should given here away. She sneezed about 10 before dark; got up and fed away. I’m not saying Midwest deer are dumb; but there not issued combat helmets at birth like Mississippi deer are. They are much more laid back of sorts.

My buddy sit daylight to dark yesterday and didn’t see a deer so that was odd for sure. He going to a different stand location this morning.

I’m committed for the day at the stick blind....maybe better luck! Got to get going. Later!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 563F18AF-4429-42EF-9865-2157318A77AD_1605183238211.jpeg (165.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 11-12-2020, 07:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

Good Luck. Today may be the day.
Mr Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2020, 06:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

Today might hold some surprises as I’m moving into an area that others have been seeing multiple mature deer.

I could use some luck. The stick bow blind was a big bust yesterday. After seeing 9 bucks there Tuesday; I saw one deer at the blind as I walked in...then nothing the rest of the day! That was a long sit....

I did see three walking out; but those don’t really count do they? It’s hard to imagine how fast things change.

On a positive note, this area is full of turkey and quail. Turkeys are seen often and I have heard a gobble or two. The quail here are like MS 50 years ago. On Wednesday I scouted a good bit and jumped three coveys. That’s crazy! I hear quail whistles almost throughout the day regardless of where I’m at.

Hopefully, today will bring a change if luck. Later!

Last edited by Stringwacker; 11-13-2020 at 06:17 AM.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Good luck!
Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in