Island fishing over the last few months - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2020, 01:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Island fishing over the last few months

I know this has some mention of conventional tackle in it but I didn’t want to write up two posts just to comply. If it hurts some feelings just let me know…

Well it has been quite a while since my last post. Admittedly I have not been fishing as much as usual, but I also have not been taking a lot of time to post here on the Bull. I am not sure if it is the freshwater influx or the action I’ve had at the islands that has me pulled away from the marsh lately. I can say I have been having a blast. I recently beat both of my PB in Redfish, Speckled trout and Flounder sight fishing at our islands. It has been very hit or miss. When sight fishing I usually shoot for getting there around 10am win the sun is high enough to start throwing some shadows off of the fish. It’s good to start out heading west to keep the sun at your back to cut down on glare then swap directions around 1pm or so when it starts setting. I had a few mixed presentation days where I would try the fly and conventional tackle. Mostly sticking to the fly when possible. When I was out there were TONS of hardheads out. That being said I found a lot of other fish mixed in with the schools. Including my PB flounder I caught on the fly. The fish just looked like something much darker running at the same speed as the 20ish or so hard heads. I cast a fly in and it broke off immediately and engulfed it. I also caught a lot of reds and a few trout running with them. So don’t get blind to those large schools of catfish.

Where the trout are concerned I came across them in pretty large schools of 2-5+lb trout staged up in the troughs adjacent to the bank but not quite out on the grass patches. A few times I would hook up on a fish and they would scatter to the closest grass bed and you could ease over there and get a little more action after landing the first one. I caught 5 trout one evening on the fly between 2-5 lbs, it was AMAZING.

On the subject of reds, I just wasn’t seeing the big schools on the inside yet. Most of the fish I came across were in pairs at most and were on the larger slot size or over. I had days where they flat refused a fly and loved the Matrix. Other days it took a soft fly not to spook them. Everyone has an opinion, but I believe the increased fishing pressure had a lot of these fish skittish. Maybe the fly rod was an advantage at times.

I also caught a decent amount of Black drum out there. They are pretty willing to bite a fly but I found it odd that the only puppy drum I catch are on plastic. Maybe its that old age eyesight kicking in!

The one thing I’ve learned out there so far is don’t be afraid to abandon what isn’t working for a new approach or location. More than a few times we kind of figured out what kind of areas they wanted to hold in and we would just jump spots that we knew had a likeness instead of fishing over to it. This aggressive run and gun seemed to pay off at times when fish were really picky.

When using conventional tackle a Matrix shad rigged on a 1/8oz jig head was my main presentation. Usually Green Hornet or Avocado due to the stained water for a bit of contrast. A few times I had to switch over to 1/4oz due to the wind. I get most of my hits on the fall so I like to stay as light as possible to increase that strike window. This was on a medium mod. Action 7ft rod I built, Penn Clash, Slick 8 30lb braid and Seaguar red label 15lb leader. I also threw a Ripstop a pretty good bit. I’m not curtain but I am 90% confident that I had a big ole Tarpon take that joker in some stained water. I watched the roll/take right by the boat and it had scales that looked like quarters!

Flies consisted of bunny strip/EP brush bait fish pattern I’ve been throwing I call the “Drum Bunny” on a 1/0 hook. It has proven to be a big producer for me along with the legendary Clouser minnow. My PB Redfish and Trout came off of the same light tan/sand bottom Drum Bunny. For the trout a long slow steady strip seemed to do the trick. Right when the strip stopped they would take it. I had at least 4 or 5 trout shake my fly. I felt like they were using my fly line weight in air against me. I started keeping my rod and fly like in the water while fighting them whenever possible and that seemed to help with the head shakes. The Reds were random but usually at least curious when you found them. The other fly of choice was either an olive or white and chartreuse clouser on a #1 hook. All of this was on a 7wt rod I built with SA Grand Slam line, Hatch 5 Plus and a 12lb Seaguar tippet.

The last thing I would like to post as a general PSA. Please be respectful on the water. Give people their space. Even though we all do have the “right” to fish wherever we want, that doesn’t make it ”right” to run up on a boat that took the time and effort to get there before you. Also to the morons that run 25yards off the bank on full plain, STOP. I’m trying to fish here bud and you are scattering everything off the bank. This includes the all loved PWCs. I know this was a long post but like I said in the beginning, its been a while. I’ll leave some pictures of those personal bests and a few others below.

Thanks for reading!

MY PB Redfish so far is 35.5” @ 18lbs

My PB trout was 24’5” @ 5lb 2oz.

Then my PB flounder was 20”. This dude just looked like a dark spot cruising with some hard heads, crazy!

Caught a few of these big uglies.

Then a few other miscellaneous pictures from these trips.

Last edited by Cej2525; 05-22-2020 at 01:36 PM.
Cej2525 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2020, 07:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Awesome!!
ifsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2020, 08:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifsteve View Post
Awesome!!
Thanks man

Old 05-23-2020, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

HotDamn. Did the poon hit a fly or plug? I was working on a trip to island. Gonna anchor south side second bar chum and drift some lil live crabs back for lemons, what ever and I was gonna sit on bow and hurl black snake on intermediate sinker to pass the time. If get a lemon up with a buddy try to get a fly in him. Problem crabs are minimum 5”. Crabs would avoid the sharks maybe. Gonna be armada out there this weekend...need to go during the week but my partner has to work for a living.

Last edited by 3denduke; 05-23-2020 at 01:47 PM.
3denduke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2020, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3denduke View Post
HotDamn. Did the poon hit a fly or plug? I was working on a trip to island. Gonna anchor south side second bar chum and drift some lil live crabs back for lemons, what ever and I was gonna sit on bow and hurl black snake on intermediate sinker to pass the time. If get a lemon up with a buddy try to get a fly in him. Problem crabs are minimum 5”. Crabs would avoid the sharks maybe. Gonna be armada out there this weekend...need to go during the week but my partner has to work for a living.
That hit came on a plug, the Rapala rip stop. I would love to get a Cobia one of these days. But right now I have a few other goals I'm working on.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

nice fish

Last edited by juanlien; 05-24-2020 at 01:19 PM.
juanlien is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in