Looking for a decent beginner flyfishing rig - Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2020, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for a decent beginner flyfishing rig

I used to fly fish back in my teens 40 years ago. I havent done it since, so just assume I am a rookie. Give me some ideas on beginner setups, and flys for bass and bream to start with. I would like to try a marsh trip next year.

Thanks,
Trav
magnoliahunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2020, 02:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

By bream and bass, are you saying you want to cast the bigger bass poppers or use bream size flies and catch whatever bass hit them? A 5wt rod will handle pretty big bass, and slot reds but throwing the bigger bass poppers or normal sized redfish flies will be too much for it. For bass and marsh fishing a 7 or 8 wt rod is more fitting. As far as beginner outfits it depends on your budget. TFO, Echo, and Redington all make lower priced rod/reel combos. However, I have not fished any of them so I can't begin to recommend one.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default thanks guys

I'll check out some 7/8 wt rods and get back with more questions.

thanks,
Trav

Old 07-12-2020, 12:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

I second Bob on the 7 or 8wt. I primarily use 2 different 7wts. I have one with a more moderate action with a pretty standard grain line for most of my fishing. I also have a faster 7wt with a heavier line (SA Titan taper) for casting in the wind or for bigger flies.

We could also be a bit more help if we knew your budget for the rod and reel only.
Cej2525 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2020, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

In addition to what Charlie said if you let us know what part of the state you are from that would help. If you have never fly fished before a casting lesson before you look at rods would help. There are clubs in the Jackson area and on the coast and most of them offer casting instruction when there is not a pandemic. The clubs can also offer names of local retailers that have flyrods for sale.

And Rinanode how about starting a thread and tell us about some of your fly fishing adventures. it's going to take using some other keys besides the "+" and the "1".
Old 07-13-2020, 03:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

I guess around $200 if possible to get a decent rig for that much. I am in Brandon. I used to fly fish a lot as a teen but that was 40 years ago.

I wouldn't necessarily be fishing for bream and bass at the same time, so flies for bream and then different flies and poppers for bass. I will start out fishing at my 3ish acre lake. I have a small boat there that I will be fishing out of so i won't have to worry about ending up in the trees on the back side.

thanks,
Old 07-13-2020, 03:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

I know a lot of folks are fans of TFO. I had a chance to cast a few at our last Hossfly meeting and they are nice. It will be a tough decision between a 5 & 6wt in my opinion. If you do a fair amount of bream fishing with occasional bass and slot Reds then I would go for the 5wt. If it's occasional Bream and more Bass and Reds then go with a 6. That's just my opinion.

I have put plenty of slot Reds in the boat on a 6wt in the marsh where they were stripped in and never hit the reel. It will handle bass fine as well. The down fall is it won't feel as fun with the panfish.

If it were me I would go with a 5wt if I had one rod. You could always try over lining a bit towards a 6wt line to get a bit bigger fly out on a marsh trip but still have a blast with smaller fish.
Cej2525 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2020, 10:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

I had a few of the TFO NTX combos (7/8WT). They were fine for bass and any freshwater fish I was targeting in Southern MS. I wish I went with the 5/6 wt for more fun but they both will work for you.
Blackdot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2020, 10:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

You might want to separate your needs into two separate purchases. Spend your real money on a heavier 7-8 wt outfit for reds and bass and pick up an inexpensive 4-5 wt just for bluegill. You can pick up a basic 5-wt setup from BPS for about $80.
DoyleAlley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2020, 03:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoyleAlley View Post
You might want to separate your needs into two separate purchases. Spend your real money on a heavier 7-8 wt outfit for reds and bass and pick up an inexpensive 4-5 wt just for bluegill. You can pick up a basic 5-wt setup from BPS for about $80.
Good call.
Blackdot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mississippi Hunting and Fishing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in